Chapter 8

"Have you three been secretly attacking each other this whole time?" Rosalyn asked.

"No. Not for a long time now," Choi Han answered.

"We haven't had one of our little spars since before we headed to the capital," Ron added.

Chapter 8: Picked It Up (1)

Late at night.

Deputy butler Hans had to stand in front of Count Deruth. He started to make his report while Deruth quietly listened until he was finished.

"He is currently sleeping in his room."

"Ah, I was just doing my job, young master Cale," Hans awkwardly informed.

"I was just trying to make sure you were safe," Deruth said contritely.

"It's fine," Cale waved it off.

Hans finally finished his report and Deruth started to speak.

"The driver reported that he went to the Flynn Merchant Guild's illegitimate son's tea shop. Today, he brought a young man whose identity we cannot verify. In terms of drinking, he only drank a little bit and kept a clear head."

Hans's report was short, but Deruth found that short report interesting.

"Should we put a tail on him?"

Looks were directed in Deruth's direction at that.

He waved his hand to oppose Hans's question. He didn't want to know what his son was doing on the outside to the point he would put a tail on him.

"No need. As long as he is in the city, anything he does is under my authority to handle."

"That's not really great parenting, but I suppose your heart was in the right place," Shickler expressed.

"Thank you. I am very aware now that what I was doing isn't good enough. I made mistakes and failed, but I won't do so again," Deruth affirmed.

"This has been a lesson for both of us and I will do better as well," Deruth* announced while looking at his children.

Deruth cherished Hans the most out of all the young deputy butlers. It was because he fulfilled orders well and was a good person.

"Do what you have been doing in terms of observing Cale inside the house and reporting what you see."

"I understand."

Hans did not say anything else as he bowed his head.

Deruth. He was someone who did not have any special abilities nor any solid networks. However, just like the previous Count, he was able to rule over the Henituse territory and grow his wealth by selling marble and wine. He was someone who was able to protect his territory properly.

"You are a very good Lord to your territory," Zed acknowledged.

"Thank you, Your Majesty."

'Cale has changed.'

Cale felt different than normal. It wasn't that he suddenly got smarter or stronger, but that his actions were clearly different from before.

"He's my son, of course I noticed a change. I just thought he was ready to grow up and move on from his trashy act," Deruth stated.

"Ah, Hans."

"Yes, Count-nim?"

"Bring me some information about the Flynn Merchant Guild."