Chapter twenty-two

I grab some water and chocolate chip cookies for a little dessert, then I walk upstairs.

Ace's POV.

I knock on Les' room hoping for her to let me in.

I'm not sure she will though.

A humming sound comes from inside the room so I take that as my cue to walk in.

She glances at me to see who I am and I could swear I saw relief in her eyes.

"Hey Les, I know you're probably still in shock and don't want to see me or any of us for that matter but I do want you to eat something so I brought you dinner and a little dessert if you're up to it." I say gently while walking further in the room and closing the door behind me.

She had really closed the door.

She never does that since she's too scared as it makes her feel like she's being locked up just like when she was when living Carlo.

Is she really so scared that she felt the need to do that?

I swallow deeply and sit down next to her on the bed but make sure I'm not invading the personal space, she most likely wants to keep right now.

Her stomach grumbles loudly across the room making me laugh lightly before I hand her her food.

She gives me a small smile and a thank you in return which I shrug off.

"No need to thank me Les" I smile gently at her.

She looks back at me and gives me a small smile in return.

She slowly starts eating from her food as I start talking.

"Les, I know you don't want to talk about it but there's just one thing I want to say. I found out about the mafia around two years ago with Asher and just like you I was shocked and scared. But eventually I came to terms with the idea of Nick leading the mafia. The hardest part to come to terms with for me was the fact they our brothers hurt people. And if I can take a guess, I think that that is what you're struggling with mostly too, so I think what help me sort of accept that was to realize that our brothers only hurt people who've really hurt other people. Like...I know Nick told you about the fact that he doesn't participate in the human trafficking business, he tries to shut them all down actually and hurts the people who've taken little girls like you and woman from their families to sell them. That's the kind of person they kill. They don't kill people like you or the maids for example because they've done nothing wrong and don't start to twist my words by thinking that when you've done something you could not do, our brothers would kill you because that's not true, at all. Our brothers would never ever hurt you and neither will I. We love you a lot Alessia. And even though you're scared and confused right now, I think that deep down you know we won't ever hurt you. We hurt people like Carlo not people like you" I tell her.

She looked at me the entire conversation and suddenly starts crying.

I immediately pick her up and place her down on my lap as she wraps her arms around me.

"I'm sorry-" she cries, "- I don't hate you guys I just-...I'm scared and I don't know why, it's that gun Acey it scared me so much. It was like I was there all over again, when sir shot me, I thought..." she stops talking as she starts sobbing harder.

"I know, I know your PTSD took over at that moment and that it's still following you and making you feel this way. I can't change that, I wish I could, really but I can't unfortunately. The only thing I can do is hold your hand and help you through it but I know okay. I know that you thought that Nick was going to shoot you but he didn't and he won't. I know you don't hate us, the others know that too Les. I'll make sure the guns are more hidden so you don't have to see one again okay" I tell her while stroking her back up and down.

She nods her head while cuddling further into me.

I smile lightly and lay down with her on top of my chest.

"How're you feeling about going to the doctor tomorrow?" I ask the little girl in my arms.

She looks up at me, "nervous" she says softly.

I nod my head and give her a small kiss on her head as she relaxes a little more in my hold.

"Are you nervous for you test results or the hospital in general?" I ask her.

"Both" she responds.

I hum and slowly stroke her back up and down.

Soon Les drifts off to sleep as she continues to hug me tight.

————

Alessia's POV.

I'm in Acey's arms as he carries me into the hospital.

I can't walk this long of a distance on my own, definitely not after the events that happened yesterday.

My head rests on Acey' shoulder as he walks to the private room in this hospital with my brothers trailing behind him with a small look of envy in their eyes.

Nurses get me ready for all sorts of tests which makes me wear that weird looking dress again as they hook me up to multiple machines.

I squeeze Ash's hand tightly when they put the IV drip back into my skin.

I'm not a big fan of needles.

Soon they wield me off again and start the tests they did last time.

————

I peel at the skin around my nails nervously, waiting for the test results in the room.

My brothers sit next to me.

I still haven't spoken to them except for Ace and Asher.

Luckily the doctor soon walks into the room....

With a sour expression on his face.

Oh no.