Chapter twenty-three

Oh no.

I look at the doctor in fear as he slowly comes forward and sits down on the edge of my bed.

"There's good news and there's bad news. The cancer cells in your body are decreasing which is amazing news because we now know your chemo is working but unfortunately your body is reacting worse to it then we normally see with patients like yourself. Besides your hair falling out and you feeling nauseous, you're getting extremely weak physically probably because of a weaker immune system then normally. I do think that continuing with the chemo will destroy your cancer but it will hurt you too. You'll be on bed rest since walking would be too much- too painful, you'll probably be sleeping a lot and eating when you're awake until all the cancer cells are destroyed" The doctor says.

I nod my head.

That's okay, I don't mind that.

I lie back down in the bed as the doctor goes out of the room with Dominic for a bit.

I look at Asher since he's sitting next to my bed and open my arms so he can hug me.

He looks sad.

Really sad.

He immediately jumps into my arms as we lie down next to each other.

————

Dominic's POV.

The doctor calls me out of the room with him so I quickly follow and close the door behind me.

"Mr. Romano, I need you to know that there is a big risk with continuing with the chemo. If her heart gets weakened too much with it, she could possibly die" he tells me.

I take a deep breath and nod my head.

She can't die, my princess.

She's hurt and mad at me right now but that doesn't change my love for her.

"What if we stop the chemo?" I ask him.

"The cancer will most likely spread and kill her" the doctor says.

I swallow down the lump in my throat and nod my head.

"Is...is there another way to try and cure her?" I ask him.

He looks at me a little conflicted, "there are but with her already weakened body she wouldn't survive those especially with the enormous side effects they hold. Her immune system is too weak to try and start immunotherapy just like the radiation therapy" the doctor says.

I look away from him as tears form in my eyes, "so this is the only option we have?" I ask as my voice breaks.

He nods his head saddened.

I take a deep breath and nod my head, "okay...continue with the chemo" I tell him.

He nods his head before excusing himself and walking away.

I let the tears roll down my face as realization begins to set in.

If this chemo doesn't work, she will die.