Chapter 20: Always and Forever

Leonor's POV

I went back to the car and found Theresia staring into nothing. Her nose, still red. "Is.. everything okay?" she managed to ask despite not wanting to speak or else her tears would show up again.

"Wait ka lang dito," I said and went to the house's entrance to get an umbrella. Once I came back, I opened the door for her and asked her to stay closer so that we'd fit under the umbrella. Kung kaya ko lang bayaran yung ulan na tumigil na, ginawa ko na talaga.

Theresia sat on the couch and she kept her arms crossed, suggesting she's feeling cold. I turned off the aircon and turned the heater on for her. Still, none of us spoke. I went to the kitchen to see if I can get a hot drink. Naalala kong di ako marunong gumawa ng kape.

Once I returned back to the living room, she wasn't there already. Probably went upstairs to take a bath. It was then that I heard our bedroom's door close.

I walked around the living room for a moment. Near the staircase, our wedding photos displayed. My eyes roamed around at each frame and saw not only pictures, but the illustrations of the best day I had. Obviously, today's the opposite of it.

I looked around the house. The high ceiling, walls, and anything else visible to my eyes. This is the first time that I came home not feeling comfortable. I sat on a reclining chair and rubbed my forehead thinking about all that has happened.

Now, I want nothing more than to protect my wife and my company. Both by which means so much to me. But in the end, if it costs my company just to keep Theresia safe, I'll have no doubts to really just give it up for her safety.

I went upstairs to check on her, when I opened the door, she had just finished taking a quick bath and she's now currently drying her hair. I sat on the bed and I can feel her eyes on me.

-----

Our bed has never felt this spacious. There's a gap between us which made me feel colder tonight. When I turned my back, she was facing me already and said "Pwedeng... payakap? Malamig kasi." I looked at her for a while then lifted the comforter and opened my arms to embrace her.

"Better?"

"You make everything feel better."

I smiled at her and placed my chin on her head. She burried her face on my neck and said "I'm sorry," for the nth time already.  I rubbed her back and her arms wrapped tighter around me.

"Do you still love me?"

"I had, I do, and I will always. Asawa pa rin naman kita."

"But are you still mine? Wala na ba talaga?"

That, I wasn't able to respond immediately. I had to think within the few seconds on whether I should prioritize myself this time. Thinking that if I was wounded, I might not be able to properly love her anymore. Clearly, there are dangers in loving someone too much.

No matter how hard I try to forget about the way I feel, it doesn't seem to be that way. At this point, after all, shouldn't I be feeling hate towards her? Kaso hindi eh. Mas lalo ko pang nararamdaman yung pagmamahal.

This is the last time I'll fall in love. Siguro, if iiwan ko, I'll just miss this feeling until then. No one felt like her. She's one of a kind. The thing isn't between us, but within the people that surrounds us. To protect her, I have to keep her closer.

Everything is pardoned in love. Love never gives up, it constantly hopes and always trusts.

But sometimes, maybe love isn't enough anymore.