II - 29: It's A Wife Thing

Theresia's POV:

After I went to check my coffee shop, I decided to go see my wife in her office. I brought her lunch. Knowing my wife, she won't spend even a second to get herself something.

As soon as I arrived, I saw April, an employee of MLG. She's a close staff to me since we used to work here together during my assistant days.

"Hello, ma'am! Naparito po pala kayo." she greeted when we met inside the lobby. "Hello Ril! Kamusta? Si Leonor?" I asked her. She clenched her teeth and raised her eyebrows somewhat showing an intense emotion. "Ay bakit? Anong meron?"

"Si Madam Leonor po kasi Leon na naman." she confessed. "Oh? Bakit? May nangyari na naman ba?"

"Hindi po namin alam ma'am dahil di naman po kami makalapit sa kanya," the kind woman said. I patted her shoulder and smiled at her. "Okay, sige. Maraming salamat. Ako na bahala."

April smiled at me and bowed her head as a gesture of gratitude. Alam ko namang defenseless sila kapag tinotopak si Leonor ng pagiging Leon. Kahit sino sa kanila, talagang hindi nakakalapit.

I walked into the elevator and the moment the doors opened on the floor she's in, I was bombarded my her roars that I heard from a distance. "You know you can't mess these up! These are balance sheets! Balance sheets! Hindi mo ba alam paano pahalagahan 'to?! Hindi ba't parte yan ng trabaho mo?!" Leonor shouted.

"Ma'am, I'm sorry po talaga. Hindi ko po inaa-"

"Oh shush! These are financial statements! How could you possibly mess it up?! Hindi mo ba naiintindihan ang salitang importante at ingatan?! Kung hindi, wag kang magtrabaho dito!" She slammed the folder on the employee's desk. "Pasensya na-"

"No! You're fir-"

I walked to her and asked "What's this all about?" directly to Leonor. She was dumbfounded by my unexpected presence and I held her hand. I raised an eyebrow at her and she lost the tension on her face.

The employees stood up from their cubicle and took a look at the scenario after they heard I was here. Maybe, it sent relief to them that someone is there to finally hold Leonor back.

"So... Sasagutin mo ba ako?" I asked again. "S-she messed the balance sheets up. I need it before Wednesday. Ngayon pa niya ginulo't sinira."

"And? You're firing her for what?"

"For being an unqualified employee. Hindi dapat ganyan ang mga empleyado ko."

"Pero you're the one who's in need of employees, hindi ba? Without menpower, you know what'd happen to the company. So please, understand and care for them too." I cupped Leonor's cheeks. Nakasimangot pa rin.

"Halika! Dun tayo sa opisina mo mag-usap." I pulled her wrist already. "You, I'll see you later ha. Hindi ka terminated." I told the employee she shouted at.

"Ayan! Under madam Theresia na ang madam Leonor. Ang totoong boss talaga." I heard April speak which I almost laughed at pero di ko na lang muna pinansin.

When we entered her office, I closed the door behind us and she sat om her armchair with grudge. "Mahal, what were you doing? Akala ko ba napag-usapan na natin?" I told her.

"Love, kasi naman-"

"Your reason isn't enough, Mahal. Hindi tama na aalisin mo yung tao dahil lang dun. Wag mo kasi i-asa sa iisang tao. Sa sobrang daming tauhan mo, bakit di ka gumawa ng iisang grupong hahawak nung statements?" I lectured her already. She rubbed her chin and drank coffee.

I went closer to her and rubbed her shoulders. "Mahal.. Hindi naman po kasi tama yun, okay? Hindi sa I'm against you, pero tandaan mo na tao lang din sila. Hindi lahat ng tao, may kapasidad gayahin ka na talagang trabaho ang tutok. Also, if you keep terminating them, hinding hindi ka magkakaroon ng maayos na empleyado. Try to educate them instead."

"Ano ako? Teacher? Sana naging teacher na lang pala ako." she scoffed. I admit, medyo nakakatawa sa isip ko yung sinabi niya but I chose not to laugh kasi seryoso siya.

Silence reigned over the room and I started to have hiccups. "Oh my- I'm sorry there's-" and another hiccup came out. Leonor managed to keep a straight face towards me.

She handed me a cup of water and as I drank, the water spilled after my hiccup. "Oh my God... Baka mabasa yung mga papeles." she murmured while she took the folders and placed it inside the cabinet instead.

"Ano ba yan? Bakit ka kasi lumamon ng palaka?" she asked sarcastically. Her serious face made it funnier so it did make me laugh. In between my chuckles and words were hiccups.

"Lov- an- ang sakit na ng tiyan ko- kakatawa!" I managed to say. Leonor shook her head and I continued bugging her out of her bad mood. I kissed her cheek but as I did so, hiccups came out.

"Ano ba? Gusto pa ata ako halikan din nyang palakang yan." she said.

"Leonor! Stop na- ang sakit na talaga." I said while I laughed hysterically.

"Well, I don't eat frog kas-" then a hiccup came out of her mouth too. Nagkatitigan na lang kami pareho. Pati siya, nagulat nang sininok siya.

"No! No way-" tapos sininok siya ulit. I laughed harder this time and it made her laugh too. "Pati pala ikaw eh! Kumakain ng palaka pala ha! Ew! Gross!" I mocked her this time.

Leonor covered her mouth with her hands, trying to stop the hiccups but it just keeps on happening. "Oh look. Nalipat sayo! Nawala na sa akin." I said while cackling and it made her turn into red. As red as a tomato.

"Sana kaya mo pa." I almost died of laughing while patting her back softly. Leonor laughed hardly, but hiccups broke them which makes it funnier.

"Oh my- Why?!" she spoke. "Ano? Ano?" I asked her to repeat. "Bakit ako sini- sinisinok?!"

"Kasi inaasar mo ako kanina." I told her and we once laughed again.

"I think it's a wife thing."

"Na ano?"

"Na we suffer things together." I said which made her cackle on my words again.

I kissed her on the lips and she smiled. I still laughed at the small hiccups she'd let out.

"Itong palakang 'to kapag di umalis- oh my! Wala na! Yesss!" she suddenly cheered after realizing it was gone. "So, was it a wife thing?"

"I guess it is then."

"Dapat next time, sabay tayo para talagang wife thing." she joked. "Huy wag ka nga. Baka mamaya-"

We let out a hiccup at the same time.

"Oh my- Goodness!" I reacted, but this time Leonor just laughed.

"Ikaw talaga, Maria Leonor Gerona!" I exclaimed as soon as what she said really happened. She stood up from her chair and I chased her around the desk.

"It's a- wife thing diba?" she jestered and we both laughed...

..with hiccups, of course, because it's a wife thing.