Chapter 39 : Responsibility

Season 2 :  Chapter 6

By the time she was done with the story, Horikita was hyperventilating as tears were streaming down her face, as Kiyotaka s in understanding.

'The person who literally threw her from a window is attending the same class as hers. Of course she was scared.....

Now everything makes sense. Her lack of confidence, her snapping at me when I unknowingly touched her, her meek behaviour from time to time….'

Kiyotaka carried Horikita by the waist and forcefully laid her down on his lap while stroking her hair gently.

"It's alright, Horikita. Everything's alright. Kushida won't even touch a single piece of your hair in this school. That I can promise you."

Not responding to him, she was still sobbing to herself while thinking of the traumatic situation. Soon, she regained some of her voice before looking at the boy with scared eyes.

"Y-you can't even fathom the fear I felt when I was falling from the sky….It was one of the worst experiences one could ever go through."

'Even I had to never go through something like that… The friend you knew for 2 years attempting to kill you? It's really shocking.'

Grabbing her, he gently hugged her while patting her back, as he decided to open up at least a little to her about some of his own experiences. 

"My father also tried various methods on me to increase my pain tolerance, but I can't ever imagine a person to go through that and still survive with the nightmare of that incident.

You are strong Horikita….You are really strong...Still moving forward and pushing yourself despite such a thing, I really respect that."

The girl fully released all her stiffness and laid over Kiyotaka's body as if she was a domino falling over. Kiyotaka however gently tucked her in his bed and held her hand to make her feel comfortable.

"I'll keep my word to you, Horikita.  I'll never let someone like Kushida come close to you ….But you just have to do one thing for me."

Her closed eyelids groggily opened as she drowsily looked at him.

".....what is it?"

"Just trust me at all costs. "

Hearing his words,  she let out a weak smile before moving his hand from her palms to her cheek.

"Don't worry Ayanokouji-kun. You are someone who gained nii-san's recognition and you are my first real friend. 

Even when you cornered me like that, at first I was scared but soon I thought logically and realised that you would never do something like that without any specific reasons.

I'll always trust you Ayanokouji-kun,  but in exchange………...Please trust me too."

'Huh?'

"Whenever I see you look towards the window, I always notice your eyes filled with emptiness and stress. It's as if a huge burden is over you 24/7.

I know that I may be weak and your problems may be way bigger than what I can comprehend, but please at least let me share that 1% of the burden, so that you can feel a little light. "