Chapter 70 : Unity

Season 3 : Chapter 14

"You sure took quite some time huh?"

Kiyotaka's eyes went towards a frowning Suzune Horikita, who was sitting on one of the log of a broken tree under the shade of another tree, enjoying the shade from the canopy of leaves of the trees. Her face was a little sweaty and red as small strands of hair appeared to stick to her forehead.

Kiyotaka immediately took out some wet wipes and handed one to Horikita while using the other on himself. Horikita took the wet wipe from his hand and looked at it with a confused gaze for a second before using it on herself.

"When did you get the wet wipes, Kiyotaka-kun?"

"Bought 3 boxes of them for 3 S-Points. They were one of the cheapest items and are extremely useful to battle this intense heat of the day. So I thought to myself, why not?"

"I see. Good decision on your part. Speaking of decision, why did it take so long for you to come back? I was sweating bullets, standing and waiting for you, y'know?"

Horikita slightly narrowed her eyes at Kiyotaka, however there was no sense of hostility behind her words. It was just her usual way of conversing with someone. Truly a scary woman, indeed.

"I apologise for causing any sort of disturbance. We just had some things we needed to talk about."

"Don't apologise. I was the one who voluntarily joined you. So there's no obligation for you to cater to my needs. However, will I ever get to know the whole idea of what's going on? Or will I be kept in the dark again till the right time comes?

I am not forcing you to tell me anything but I want to let you know that the fact that I haven't been doing anything and have been sitting around,it's been kind of eating me from the inside."

'I see. I guess I should have expected some sort of resistance from someone during the exam. Never thought that Suzune would be the one to do it though...Life is unpredictable, I guess.'

Horikita nervously started rubbing one of her elbows with her other arm, all the while glaring at poor ground-kun, as the Leader of Class-D looked at her with an impassive gaze, before turning away from her figure.

"I told you before, right Suzune? I have a special job assigned for you in the future. It's just the second day of the exam. What's the rush about?"

"B-but Kiyotaka-kun-"

"Don't overstep your boundaries, Suzune."

She immediately fell silent as soon as she felt his calm and serene eyes look back towards her with a small sense of aggression and an expression which resembled that of a person who was not ready to accept any argument against him.

"This is a marathon, not a race, Suzune. Once you start the run at a fast pace, you have to keep it going and you can't stumble or fall. You can't afford to look back or slow down, since a sprinter's mentality is that he can never be left behind.

But what if the race is so long that you will eventually burn out and all your stamina will be gone, no matter the tenacity and the mentality. What will be the end result of it, Suzune? Tell me."