Chapter 88 : "Zodiac"

Season 4 : Chapter 11

As soon as Mashima-Sensei said the word 'Special Exam', Karuizawa raised her hand with an inquisitive expression on her face.

'Please don't be a dumb question like why am in a group filled with boys and not with my friends or stuff like that. Please ask something in topic. I don't want to deal with the second hand embarrassment.'

"What is it, Karuizawa?"

"I'm sorry if I appear rude, but what do you mean by Special Exam? Weren't you the one who told us that we can enjoy our remaining week freely after the Island test? So, how come we get such last minute news of another test happening?"

Karuizawa started off with a barrage of questions, which was most probably subtly in everyone's mind.

"I understand your frustrations, however I'm not liable to answer your questions as of now. So keep quiet and sit down, as I start explaining the rules of the Special Test."

With a stern glare, Mashima-Sensei addressed Karuizawa, making her quietly go back to her initial position, before slightly shifting her chair closer towards Kiyotaka.

'It seems like the rumours about Mashima-Sensei were in fact true. Unlike Chabashira-sensei, who is moderately relaxed and someone who preferred to teach leniently and with calmness, Mashima-Sensei appeared to be a teacher who was cold, strict, flat and indecisive in his tone.'

"In this special exam, all the 1st year students will be divided up into groups based on their zodiac signs and the entirety of the examination will be conducted in groups of students sharing the same zodiac sign like the four of you here. The purpose of the test is to assess your 'thinking ability'.

There are three required attributes that people who function well in society are required to master: Action, Thinking and Teamwork. These skills are necessary for you all to become successful adults. The last test on the island emphasised teamwork quite heavily, however, this one will emphasise your thinking.

 The ability to critically think, analyse the situation at hand and resolve the problem given will be tested in this exam. The ability to work creatively with imagination and work determinedly towards resolving the problem, such traits will become vital for this task.Therefore this exam will be conducted with 12 groups split up according to their zodiac signs and the exam will occur under those conditions.

Any questions?"

Just like before, Karuizawa once again raised her hand with the intention of clearing her query. 

'It seems like she truly wants to participate in the exam and actually do something of her own merit, instead of relying on others. I don't know how much she will be successful in this, but I like the fact that she wants to work for the class, even if it is for her own sake.'

"You just said that this exam will be split into 12 groups. So, why are there only four of us here? Shouldn't there be more?"

'Good question. It was on my mind as well. The whole exam is split between 12 groups. Which means all classes should be split into 3 groups each. By simple calculation, each group should at least have 13 or 14 students. But it seems to be not the case. So I wonder how exactly they will make it work.'

"Firstly, the four people here will henceforth be considered part of the same group for the remainder of the exam. There are other rooms with other students too, receiving the same explanation you are receiving now. Some of them might later also become part of your team."

Hearing these words coming out of Sensei's mouth, Kiyotaka raised his hands with a curious look, as the other three students looked at him.

"What is it, Ayanokouji?"