Chapter 7

"Tell me everything you've got." Damien said to his head lawyer, Mr Rudiger and the man he had hired to further delve into the Connors case.

He had abandoned the case some years back, after his mother had told him to drop it, but with the recent appearance of Madison, and the memories that were plunging in his head, Damien couldn't let it off any longer.

He was reopening the case, and just like he had promised himself the night before after the event, and after drinking himself to sleep, he had decided to begin the investigations today.

He was going to bring the Connors down, but first he was going to make each and every member of the family pay before he would then face the head of the household, ruthless politician and the man who had sired the woman he had loved since time immemorial, Mr Connor.

For the ruin that elderly man caused his family, the death of his father, banishing then from Birmingham after winning a law suit against him, and making his life a living hell before his leave, Damien just couldn't wait to begin his mission.

Madison... she had unleashed the fire in him, that was for sure, and a smirk on his lips Damien listened as the lawyer began to narrate his findings.

"The Connors empire seems to have depleted and no company in the whole of England, and Birmingham most especially bears the name Connor. It should be noted that they seem to have sold their shares though it is just an assumption, but the empire has fallen, and that I have no idea as to what and why it happened, though I'm still digging deeper."

Damien was shocked at what he was hearing.

Was this the explanation to why he had seen Madison working as a waitress or was there more to this story? He wondered to himself as he lit up a cigar placing it in his lips as the Lawyer continued to speak.

He was more than confused at this news, but at the same time he was happy.

The Connors had crumbled down, and he was going to find out more about this.

He had to know the cause of their downfall, as well as make sure Mr Connor paid for every single thing he caused him.

He was going to make sure of that!

Standing up from his chair, and grabbing his suit, he said to his lawyer, "I think that would be all for now. I have some personal needs I have to attend too and also dig deeper into the case. I want to know where every single relative of the Connor is staying back at Birmingham, and I need the information as fast as I can get it. Do you get me?" He questioned.

"Yes sir!" Mr Rudiger said, bowing his head and at the same time taking his leave as he dismissed him.

Sighing as he took his car key, Damien decided to check on Katherine too.

She had been calling him all day, and he had refused to pick her call, but now he wanted to check on her and maybe spend some time with her too.

Maybe, she could help relieve his head off the other woman occupying it.

.......

Madison paced restlessly in her motel, as she cast a glance at her luggage arranged on the bed already.

She was to leave the motel, because she had only rented the bed space for just two days, and now with no more money to renew the room, the manager of the motel had kindly asked her to leave.

She had begged him, saying that she would come up with some little cash today to pay her bills, but he had refused bluntly, not even listening to her and after giving her an hour to pack her things and leave and well here she was.

She was still thinking of what to do, her hands on her hair rubbing furiously scattering the updo she had arranged, when she heard some footsteps sounding and then a knock resounded on her door.

"Knock, knock." A masculine voice came from behind the door, and freezing up in her steps, trying to trace if it was the manager coming back again to send her out, Madison walked slowly like a tip toe to the door, and placing her hands on the door knob she stopped herself again from opening the door.

She still needed more time to herself, and she was still thinking of where she would stay in this brazenly busy city of New York.

She had no friends here, nor did she have any relative she could ever recall as staying in New York.

Tears falling down her eyes, sniffing back the tears that burned at the back of her eyes, Madison summoned some courage and she was about to open the door to face the man when she heard, "Hello, Madison... Madison Connor are you there."

And she froze, her face paling, her mouth open in shock as she shook her head, trying to silence the voices in her head.

This voice... she knew who this person was.

Her brain was trying to reconnect, trying to recollect where she had heard that all to familiar voice.

It was a voice from her past, her head kept telling her, this voice and it came again, alongside a knock and murmurs, "Are you sure she hasn't left? You said she was here! Hey Madison, open up. It's me."

"You who?" She asked herself slowly still not wanting to open the door, afraid of seeing who was on the other end.

She was terrified! Why was her past coming back in all shades, and forms these short time that she was spending here in New York.

She had to leave, this goddamned city, that was the only solution now, but she had bills to pay, and she barely had any cash strapped on her to even feed for three days.

"Madison..."

Her grip tightening on the door, Madison swung the door open and then she saw him.

"Oh no..."

A sob escaped from her lips, as she left the door wide open, moving back further into the small room as he walked in.

"No, no. Did he send you here? To take me to the police for the dress? How come you're in this city too? Surely you must work for him right, what are you doing here?" She asked terrifying afraid at the same time as she moved slowly backwards while he walked in, his eyes darkening, his large build filling the whole room.

He hadn't changed not one bit.

Safe for his voice that had been deeper, Alvarez had grown huskier and maintained the hefty build he had had since little.

She could see the manger of the motel from afar...

The manager was with him too, standing behind and Madison watched as he said some things to the man, who nodded before shutting the door tightly and then he faced her.

"What are you doing here Alvarez?" She asked slowly, tears flowing down her eyes still as she kept moving until her back hit the brisk hard wall behind her and she stopped walking.

"He didn't send me here Maddie. I came here to see you, and inquire about your well-being. How are you Maddie? It's been a long long time..."

Of course it had been a long long time, and Madison had no idea when he walked closer to her, and dragging her off the wall, he pulled her in a soft embrace while she sobbed her eyes out.

This was so good to be true, and as they hugged a lot of questions ran through her mind as to why he was here.

What was he doing here?

Where had he seen here? Was it last night at the party? She had not set her eyes on him, so how come he had seen her then if it was at the party that is...?

How had he located her? She asked no one but herself as she hugged him tightly biting her face in his broad chest.

She was no longer feeling scared surprisingly, and she felt safe in his presence.

Right from childhood, back in Birmingham she had always felt at ease with him.

He had always been her best friend.

Always had, always will...

.......

Thanks for reading. 💕