Chapter 53

"You're still here?" Damien paused in his tracks as he sighted Alvarez standing at the exit of the office building.

Damien had a late meeting which had lasted nearly three hours, and after that, he had stayed to finish up a project he had abandoned for a while now. Although he had eaten a few hours ago, he still felt quite hungry, and what he planned to do was go home and find a way to relax after eating.

His bones felt cramped as well.

Alvarez smiled at his best friend from the door, "Well, I'm head of security, remember? And you're the owner of this company and my boss. If you leave late, so do I." He chuckled and Damien narrowed his eyes, laughing at the same time, "I can't tell if that was accusatory or affectionate."

Alvarez shrugged with a wink, "Whichever you want it to be. It's up to you."

"Asshole." Damien shot back.

They both burst into laughter at the same time, and as they both walked out of the building and towards the car park, Damien looked back at his friend, "Drinks, tonight. What do you think?"

Alvarez thought about it for a while and then he nodded, "Sure, okay. But no one is getting drunk again. Especially you, cause you won't be able to bear it." He laughed and Damien nodded, raising his hand in surrender.

"You don't even need to tell me twice." He agreed, remembering the last time he had gotten drunk as it had been so horrible.

He didn't think he would be getting drunk for a while, but he couldn't stay away from alcohol completely. He would just have one or two shots and that would be it, he promised himself.

They both got into their cars and drove to their regular bar.

Twenty minutes later they were seated on their stools, jackets off and drinking whilst they discussed.

Damien was already beginning to feel better, and the cool music playing in the bar helped to ease of some worries. Maybe all he needed was to unwind after days of working really hard, and that he was doing.

Beside him, Alvarez took another swig of the beer he had ordered and faced Damien, "That reminds me. You messaged me a few days ago... something about Madison's number. If I remember correctly, I sent it to you. What happened?"

Damien froze, groaning internally. He had hoped this talk wouldn't come up, but of course, trust Alvarez to remember every slight thing.

Instead of answering, he took another sip of his drink, and then he cleared his throat, and muttered, "Mm hm. So?" He stalled, as he faced his drink.

"So?" Alvarez chuckled, "You can't just leave me hanging, cause I know you are trying to divert this convo. You're gonna have to do better than that. You asked for Madison's number when I'm quite sure that there hasn't been any communication between you two, and the last time you spoke to her, it didn't end well. So obviously, I'm sure you didn't ask for her number to just store it in your phone and stare at it."

Damien rolled his eyes, taking another sip of his drink.

Somehow he felt pretty stupid for calling Madison while he had been completely wasted, because as it stood he pretty much had no recollection of what he must have said to her.

Also he wasn't even ready to start imagining how he must've sounded and what he had said, and right now he really didn't want to talk about Madison, but he had no choice because Alvarez was looking at him inquisitively and so he had to spill something.

"Fine. I got very drunk a few days ago and I might have drunk dialed Madison." He finally blurted up, rubbing his forehead in embarrassment.

Alvarez's eyes widened in surprise. "You did what? What did you do? What did you say?"