Chapter 56

"What the hell?" Damien yelled into his phone, his fingers clenching in anger. He couldn't believe what he was just hearing.

The one thing he thoroughly despised in his life was disappointments of any kind, and now that it concerned something so important to him, he felt like combusting with fury. What nonsense?

"I-I'm really sorry, sir." Nina, his secretary, stammered from the other end, her voice breaking as she continued, "I contacted them this morning and that's when I got the info that all flights had been canceled due to some maintenance concerns by the airport, so I decided to call right away and inform you."

Damien raked a finger through his hair, a hiss escaping his lips.

He had planned everything already, packed everything he would need accordingly, and even cross-checked all the details of the investigation with his private investigator. He was ready to leave in two days time, and now this?

He gritted his teeth in anger, "How long will this maintenance take? Have you any idea?" He queried under his breath, gripping the headboard of his bed as he tried not to lash out at her, and she stammered out a whimsical response, "I-I... it is indefinite sir. Not utterly indefinite per say, but I wasn't giving a date as to when it would end."

"FUCK!" Damien swore furiously, not minding his crude words and hanging up he tossed his phone aside, becoming hot all of a sudden.

He couldn't blame Nina his secretary at all, because this was not her fault at all, and also he had no utter faith that the stupid airport could make this trip of his work at all. They were always so unreliable? He should have known before he resorted to them.

Still fuming, Damien stood up and began to pace, thinking of what to do. He didn't need to think too much though, because he did have an alternative, one that he was just not so happy to take.

He sighed heavily, picking up his phone and scrolling through his contacts. He hadn't wanted to use his private jet at first because he felt like it was over the top and unnecessary, but now he had no other choice and when he found the number he was looking for, he quickly dialed it.

His plane maintenance guy picked up at the first ring, saving Damien the stress of waiting and quickly he exchanged pleasantries with the flight guy, and then ran him through the details of his London travel.

He also informed him that he would need to leave as soon as possible, so the private jet had to be ready before five days.

When they had gone through everything, the plane handler requested for some extension of time, as he informed Damien that it would take at least a week to arrange the private jet, service it and make sure it was in good condition before alerting the pilot and getting everything ready.

Sighing in defeat, and having no other thing to say, Damien grudgingly agreed, hanging up with another heavy sigh, and tossing his phone aside. With nothing else to do but wait, he made his way to the wine cabinet and poured himself a glass of whiskey.

Again, he would drown his frustrations with whiskey and alcohol, irrespective of its negative effect.

.......

Madison bit into the chicken sandwich she had gotten for lunch, moaning slightly in appreciation from the good taste.

It was lunch break already, and she was seated at the cafeteria with Gina and a few other acquaintances she had met since she started working at the bakery.

"Wow, you must be really hungry." Gina joked, teasing Madison who began to giggle at her comment, and nodding her head at the same time too.

Yes! Her friend was right. She really was hungry. She had skipped breakfast because she had wanted to manage the little money she had on her, and ever since she had arrived at the bakery she had been working nonstop, so as not to feel the pangs of hunger gnawing at her stomach.

The second the lunch break bell had gone off, she had gone to get some snacks, and now that she chewed on it, she felt so good.

This was the effects of good food, and it was a nice change.

Soon though she would stop skipping breakfast due to insufficient funds, as she was hopeful that all that would change.

This was because she was going to get her first paycheck next week, and she was more than super excited about it. Especially because then she would be able to get so many personal stuffs that she needed but couldn't afford, and again she would be able to stock up her kitchen again.

She was feeling pretty happy about it, so so happy and frankly this was the only positive thing that had happened to her in a while now.

Dare she said, she loved the feeling so much, praying for more too.

"How are you feeling about next week thought? Your first paycheck, mm hmm?" Gina nudged her shoulder, laughing and taking a spoonful of the chocolate ice cream she had just bought.

Madison nodded, "I'm feeling great actually, and you have no idea. I can't wait!"

"Good. It's good you're anticipating it but please don't forget our night out. You promised, and no backing out now irrespective of whatever."

Madison took another bite of her sandwich, a hum escaping her lips as she said, "Of course not, I haven't forgotten. I'm actually pretty excited about it too. It's been a while since I've been anywhere fun."

Gina squealed in excitement, at Madison's words, and  pulling her forward she began to list out her ideas on clothes to wear and places they could go, and Madison helped every now and then with suggestions until everything was settled.

As they chatted away, the other ladies gradually joining in their conversation and soon they were all talking, laughing and eating.

A sudden ticking sound from the speakers warned them that lunch was over, and with the bell going off Madison, who was both excited and desperate to keep up her excellent behavior especially since payday was close, bade her friends goodbye and scurried off to her work station, leaving them behind.

She didn't want to miss anything at all, and she wanted to get to her station before her superior did.

Nevertheless as she left, she still had a good feeling about this week in her heart.

She could feel it, so bad!

.......

Thanks for reading. 💕