Chapter 88

After a long time of knocking and waiting outside Madison's door to no avail, Damien got off the floor, and slowly made his way back to his car.

His chest felt heavy and empty.

Still shaking, he wiped his tear-stained face with his sleeve and hobbled into his car. Once he was inside, the cold and quiet interior only reminded him of his misery, and the gravity of the situation.

Trying not to think about it too much, he started his car and drove away from the area. However a few minutes later, as he was driving, he couldn't help but begin to think about his conversation with Madison yet again.

Tears began to drop down his face, it hit him once more. The whole thing was just one huge misunderstanding, and largely his fault.

All this while, she had done everything she did just to protect him from her father and brother. She had only been looking out for him, but instead of hearing her out, he had left like a coward.

Without a warning. Without bothering to see her one last time or try to straighten things out and hear her side of the story.

After being with her for so long, he should have known better, and he should have trusted her. He  should have known that his girlfriend would never do something like that. But instead what had he done? He had believed every damn thing, Madison had sprouted just to save his ass, and he had also chosen to listen to what everyone was saying back then.

He'd believe it all, and had treated her like she didn't matter.

Damien hit the brakes as tears clouded his eyes once more. Parked in the middle of the road, he bent over the steering wheel and began to cry his eyes out.

Madison had sacrificed so much for him. Not just at the end but right from the time she began dating him.

Even when her whole family was against him, and hated him to the core she had stuck by his side.

As he remembered all the things she had told him, he sobbed even harder. Sleeping under the bridge, almost getting raped, loosing their child, getting robbed, working menial jobs just to feed herself... damn she had suffered for so long  and she was still suffering.

She had gone through so much humiliation, and finally when she had come back into his life after so long what had he done.

He'd allowed his past hate to cloud his senses, and he had made her go through so much again.

Humiliating her in front of the whole world, making her feel like less of a person, and he had done all that. Because of him, she had appeared on magazines repeatedly, even when she tried her best to keep away from the media, but all to no avail.

Her privacy had been invaded, her efforts to get jobs had also proved difficult because the paparazzi had begun to follow her everywhere, and he had basked in all that knowledge back then.

But now? He was beginning to realize that he'd been such a fool. So what right did he have to expect her to forgive him?

If she even refused to ever take him, or forgive him just like she was insisting now he couldn't even blame her. 

Spending the next few minutes trying to keep his tears at bay, Damien sniffed and wiped at his face incessantly. By the time he had finished crying, he saw that almost thirty minutes had past, and wiping at his face he decided to leave.

Crying here like a kid, wasn't going to help his situation, at all.

Starting his car, he drove off to his hotel at such fast pace. It was already late at night so there wasn't lot of cars on the road, and because of this he was able to get to the hotel earlier than possible.