Chapter 63

"What are you doing here?" Madison gasped in surprise when she opened the door to see Gina standing in front of her door.

She didn't have work today as it was the weekend so she wasn't expecting anyone, and she had been surprised when she heard someone knocking at her door.

She had also been a little scared, but then it was broad daylight and the weekend too. All her neighbors were hanging around the front yard, and so so she confidently opened up.

Gina had a huge smile plastered over her face as she faced Madison, "What do you think? It's morning, and I can visit my friends or can't I? Have you also forgotten what we planned to do today?"

Madison laughed, shaking her head as she remembered that they had made plans to go out today, but she hadn't expected Gina this early at all.

"It's nine in the morning miss. Don't you think it's a little bit early?" She complained, rubbing her forehead and opening the door wider for her friend to come in but Gina just shrugged, "The earlier we leave, the better. Do you have anything to do today? Laundry, housework, cooking, I could help you out."

Madison shook her head. She had done all of that already. She liked to finish all her chores early during weekends, so she would have just enough time for herself. Maybe read a book, or bake some cookies for herself, and just about anything that counted as self-care, in fact.

"Well then, let's go." Gina prodded, "I'll help you pick out what to wear." She added, moving to the wardrobe and picking out a pair of jeans.

As she began to select a top, Madison went into the bathroom to get ready. By the time she had showered and combed her hair, Gina had laid out her outfit on the bed.

Laughing, Madison quickly creamed her body, and putting on her clothes, she took out some money from her pay which she would use for shopping and slipped it into her purse.

When she was ready, she first went into the kitchen to serve her friend some of the chocolate chip cookies she had baked, and as they ate the snack with a glass of milk, they conversed at the same time.

As soon as they were done, they headed out into town.

Again this cloth shopping was courtesy of Gina, and when her friend had suggested they go shopping she had wholeheartedly agreed. All her clothes were now very old and worn out. Some new ones would be nice, and they would surely boost her confidence. They also wanted to get nice dresses for the outing they had planned, and what better time than now.

Weaving into stores, one after the other, they kept on searching for nice dresses to their taste. They had made some progress when Gina suddenly remembered a boutique down the street, and dragging an all to eager Madison they went down to the medium sized boutique.

From the front glass window Madison could already see outfits she liked, and squealing they both rushed inside.

As they began to look through the clothes in the boutique, Madison saw a dress she liked and she  immediately held it up, loving the style of the black dress. She quickly put it aside as one of the dresses she would try on and as she continued searching, she suddenly had a cold feeling.

It was the same way she had felt, the day she had seen that strange man trying to take her picture. That feeling that she was being watched...

Quickly, her head snapped to the transparent window, and right outside the boutique she sighted a man across the road. He was seated outside a saloon— a pair of shades covering his eyes and a newspaper wide open in his hands.

She could not see his eyes through the shades, but his gaze was directly pointed at her and just as soon as their gazes met, he quickly looked down to the newspaper in front of him.