Chapter 21

"Tell me something nice." Damien said as soon as Mr Rudiger and the lawyer Mr Paul, took their seats.

They had informed him earlier this morning that they would be here first thing today, and he eagerly anticipated their arrival, already waiting to hear whatever news they had for him.

Clearing his throat, Mr Rudiger nodded, "We started a background check on each member of the family to enable us get more information, or anything at all that might be linked to their downfall from power. Just like you ordered actually..." The grey haired man said, and cleared his throat before continuing, "But...we indirectly found out something else. Something that is shocking and personally I couldn't just pass it so, so I decided to bring it to you at once."

"Okay, and what is this thing about?" Damien asked impatiently, his hands tapping away at his thighs.

"Sir... It's about Madison Connor."

Damien inhaled sharply, his mind racing at the mention of that name, and his chest squeezing in that nostalgic way that he truly despised. That feeling of pain, hurt, betrayal and anger that always passed through him whenever he heard her name.

Flustered for some reason he couldn't quite understand, Damien shook his head dispelling any thoughts, and raising his palm up in protest, he said, "No, hold that information. I don't wish to hear anything about her. Give me some other news. Anything asides from that. What about her father? Her mother? Her brothers?"

He clenched his fists under the table, pretending not to notice when he caught a glimpse of the lawyer and the private investigator exchanging looks. It was as if they were waiting for him to think things through, they didn't speak for a few moments, and he appreciated that grave silence somehow.

Damien was torn between wanting... no, needing to discard every thought of her or anything that required him to think of her, and sheer curiosity of what they could possibly have on her.

Deep inside him somewhere he was curious about what she had been up to in the past years, how she had lived, how she had been, and what must have warranted her to be in this pitiful condition she was in now. More so, whatever this was, if they had brought news about her and tagged it this way, then it must be something important.

Looking back at them with a sigh, he waved his hand, already making a decision, "Go on. We do need all the information we can get. Proceed with what you have on her."

Mr Rudiger nodded again, his facial expression changing to something Damien couldn't quite place, he started, "From all the sources we gathered, we discovered that Madison no longer stays with her family in Birmingham. This is backed up by some of the close family friends, we managed to get in contact with. We still don't know the full story yet as we are still digging, but currently we know that her relationship with her family now is sort of estranged."

Damien leaned forward, a frown on his face, "What do you mean?"

"Well, as we gathered she is in bad relationship with her father mostly, as she was disowned by him a couple of years back for reasons we are still trying to find out. No one in her family is in contact with her at the moment either, safe for her mother whom sources say frequents her place in Birmingham. I think it's safe to say that she has become sort of... ermmm how do I put this? Let's say a lost sheep."

Damien stared at them both, baffled.

He couldn't believe what he was hearing. Madison, disowned? And by her father? What could possibly have made them take such a huge step, by casting her aside and throwing her out? Whatever it was must have been pretty serious for them to turn against her so suddenly, and now he was mostly intrigued, wanting to know.