Chapter 119

"I've been trying mother's cell phone, but it hasn't been going through, father. Where is she?"

"Hello to you too, Maddie." Mr Connor greeted, and Madison sighed, rubbing her left hand on her forehead.

"Afternoon, father. How are you doing?" She politely asked, a smile flickering on her lips as he replied

"I am doing okay. Better than ever. Your mother went to the grocery store nearby to get some things for dinner tonight and...."

"Why is she still going out on her own father?" Madison abruptly asked, continuing, "Damien's made sure she doesn't have to worry about all these. You both... I mean, the household staff he hired should be able to...."

"You know how stubborn your mother can sometimes be, and I couldn't object. She wanted to go out and get the things she needed specifically. Just leave her be." Mr Connor said, and Madison could only jet out a worried exhale.

However, hearing her father's cheery voice lifted her heart enthusiastically, and tears pooled at the back of her eyes.

Even though she still hadn't gotten used to talking comfortably with him still, these past few days, their conversations seemed to be warm, and with the way Damien was treating them all, it felt like a dream.

It was a dream, to put it lightly.

She never for once imagined that her father would ever be on good terms with Damien, and vice versa, but well, the last few days proved otherwise.

With love leading amongst everyone, and no more obstacles on the way anymore, both families seemed to be warming up to each other, and it was so hearty to see.

Her father had accepted Damien into the family, calling him son already, and if that wasn't enough, he accepted every single thing Damien had tried doing for him.

"So..." Her father started, drawing Madison out of her thoughts and snapping her out of her trance, "You called to tell your mother something or what? You can drop the message with me."

"I..." Madison began sharply but cut off her speech halfway and cleared her throat.

She closed her eyes briefly, and as the lids flew open, she said with a stretched smile, "I was calling to invite you all to the family reunion I'm hosting. I talked about something of the sort with mother, and that's why I wanted to talk to her first, but surely you can relay the invitation to her then."

"A family reunion, you say?"

"Yes. A dinner party, actually, but it's still a reunion. With all of you, Damien's family and I present too. There's a lot we still need to make up for, and being together in one room can specifically cater to that. What do you think, father?"

At first, her father said nothing, and for a second, Madison thought he must have hung up on her, or probably the cell's landline network was acting up.

She brought the phone away from her ear, staring at it, but the call was still connected, and she raised her brows surprisingly.

"Father..."

"Oh, daughter..." He replied shortly after, and she could hear him sniffing like he was crying.

"Huh? Father, what's wrong? Are you okay?" She asked, concerned, but as usual, he waved off her concerns.

"I'm okay, Madison, and sure we'll love to come. I'll talk to your mother and brothers. When is it?"

"Sometime next week. I'll call and tell you both."

"Okay, darling. I'll be expecting your call."

Feeling nostalgic all of a sudden when she heard the endearment he'd used to address her, Madison's chest tightened painfully.