Chapter 55

KATHERINE

Katherine wrinkled her nose, sighing as the airport taxi dropped her at the hotel that had been reserved for her.

It wasn't the usual five-star hotel she'd have wanted, and everything looked disgusting to her, but she decided to endure it.

After all, her future depended on all this she was doing, and it was only for a few days. Soon she would go back to her paradise, satisfied and fulfilled.

Her men had booked this hotel because it was the closest to the town where Madison lived, and the thought of lodging at the much better hotel and then driving hours to get to this town was not appealing, so she had decided to make use of what she got.

She had gotten the details of Damien's flight earlier, so she decided to take a flight ahead of him.

She wanted to get here before him as it would give her time to survey the surroundings, and know exactly what she was up against. Her men had been investigating for weeks and they had come up with very useful information, but Katherine knew she still had her own investigation to do.

She needed to find out more.

The bathroom in the hotel room was smaller than she was used to, and she felt quite claustrophobic as she showered, doing her best to be quick so she would get out of here.

The condition of the whole place, and the effect it was having on her only made her angrier and it was all Madison's fault. Why couldn't she just have stayed in her filthy town and out of Damien's life? Katherine still couldn't believe that she'd had to come all the way to London, just to save her relationship.

She kept saying she didn't mind it, but the reminder that she wouldn't have to if Madison had not been in the picture had her fist bubbling up at the same time.

She hissed as she wrapped her towel around herself carefully. and hopped out of the bathroom. Now, she had to go through all this discomfort just to bring this bitch down and it was frankly exhausting.

For this, Katherine promised within herself to make sure Madison suffered for putting her through this. The first thing she did when she sat on her bed was to call one of the men, and since they were lodging in the room next to hers she quickly informed him to get ready to drive her in a few minutes.

Without waiting for his response, she immediately hung up.

She took her time to freshen up and get into a change of clothes, and when she was done and satisfied, she stepped out of her room, sighting one of the men already waiting.

"I trust you know where you are taking me too right?" She asked, putting on her sunglasses and he gave a nod, leading the way until they were out of the hotel and finally outside.

The guard opened the door of the car Katherine had ordered them to rent. She wouldn't be caught dead boarding any taxis, ever in this place and even before she stepped into the car, she hesitated a bit peeping to see the condition of the vehicle.

Everything in it looked greasy, and the strong smell of rubber made her sick to the guts, but she took a deep breath and got in.

Katherine shut her eyes in agony. She would definitely need at least three days of spa treatment when she got home after all this, and relaxing her head she allowed the driver take the wheel and in total the drive took about fifteen minutes.

Katherine didn't need her driver to tell her they had entered the part of town where Madison lived, because when they got there the surroundings spoke for itself.

She nearly gasped in shock at how disgusting it looked, and it was so bad and dirty that she felt her arm begin to itch.

"What the fuck is this place?" She gasped, wrinkling her nose, "People actually live here?" She shook her head in disbelief, staring at the gutters and waste scattered about.

The driver laughed, "Yep. We're in the slums, ma'am. That's what it's like." He paused, driving a little further and then pointing toward an open compound, "That's the building where Madison Connor lives."

Katherine turned to the direction he was pointing to, her eyes widening in surprise.

If she had seen worse, then this was the height of it all. The building was the worst in the damn neighborhood, and her eyes roamed round it. Taking her eyes away from the disgusting looking building, she surveyed the poor neighborhood again, the poorly constructed houses, and the rats running round the dumpsters, even into the swampy ground.

The place was nearly flooded, probably due to the rains and every corner of this place was disgusting and unhygienic, Katherine decided, her nose mask fully in place as she covered her nose in despise.

Why would Damien even want someone who stayed in a place like this? It was degrading to his status, and who knew what kind of diseases someone from here, would probably bring into his home.

Now, some things started to make sense. This was why the bitch was so desperate to get Damien. She wanted to leave this life of suffering, and the only way would be to snag a wealthy man and she had chosen Damien.

They had something in the past, and it was logical if she would want to get him. Over her dead body though, it would never happen! Katherine scoffed. Madison could try all she wanted but her ridiculous plans would never work, and not if she had something to say about it.

Looking through the environment one last time, Katherine shook her head and just as she was about to signal her driver to move out of the place, one of the doors of the building faraway swung open, and Katherine was surprised to see someone so familiar step out.

It was Madison, and she was lugging a small plastic bag behind her.

Her surprise quickly changed to anger as she watched Madison carefully make her way past the swampy ground, on a wooden piece of wood and when she got past it, she dumped the plastic bag on one of the open dumpsters there.

Katherine's fists clenched as she watched the bitch, jaw gritting as she assessed her from head to toe.

For the umpteenth time, she wondered what was so special about her? What was so great about her that Damien would argue cause of her? She was the one making Damien, threaten and warn her, and she still wondered what spell she had concocted for her man? Hell he had even flied all the way to London to come see her.

It was not like she was even pretty, and Katherine knew that she was a whole lot prettier than Madison. So what was it about her?

Anger flowed through her and she studied Madison's body as she walked back to her house. She wasn't even shapely or curvy and that stupid strawberry blonde shade of her hair... Oh what was so special about her? Katherine wondered again.

As Madison shut her door, Katherine turned back to the driver, and ordered cruelly, "Take me back to the hotel. Now! I can't bear it here."

He nodded, starting up the engine and quickly driving off.

Her hands still shaking, Katherine relaxed back into her car seat and grabbing a cigar from her purse, she lit it up, puffing on it and trying to calm herself down.

She was going to run mad! It was just a matter of time!

.......

Thanks for reading. 💕