Chapter 91

TWO DAYS LATER

Madison slowly walked out of the bakery, with Gina by her side.

Her chest felt heavy and painful that for a moment she began to reconsider, what she'd just done but she tossed the thought aside.

There was no going back. There was no use for regrets of any kind. This was the best decision for her, and she was going to stick by it.

After all, she would regret it more than ever if she didn't leave right now, so she had too.

Some hours earlier she had handed her resignation letter to her manager, making her leave look very permanent. He had looked very surprised as expected, but he asked no questions, but that she was even going to oblige him if he asked.

On the other hand she felt broken. She had worked so hard to get to this point, only to leave everything behind again.

She had been comfortable for a while, making new friends, and even proving that she was a good employee. Most importantly, she had earned her spot as one of the dedicated and patriot employee in this bakery.

This was the first job that had proved to be excellent for her. One of the best, if not the best  job she'd landed in all her months of job hunting. Plus she had met a lot of nice people.

This was the perfect example of the beginning of the life she had imagined for herself. A good job with a nice paycheck, a peaceful home and good friends, but just when she had been on the way to getting that, and enjoying her life blissfully once and for all, everything was getting ruined.

Blinking, she recalled how she had bade the few friends she had made at the bakery goodbye before she left, and she could see the questions in their eyes and at the ends of their lips but she just couldn't divulge anything at all.

Madison felt so sad, she tried not to let it show but no matter how much she covered her feelings it just wasn't enough.

"So... how far have you gone with your preparations? Where did you decide to move to?" Gina asked, moving closer to Madison and nudging her from her thoughts.

Madison was startled for a few seconds but then she quickly regained her composure, and began to tell Gina everything she was planning to do.

"I have a third class plane ticket to Australia. I decided to go there instead. One of my mother's cousin's lives there, and luckily I'm still in touch with her. So I spoke to her about it and we agreed I would stay with her, until I'm able to find a job, get the hang of the country and just get a new place to stay. Hopefully, that will be soon, because I really don't want to be a burden to anyone."

Gina nodded, her eyes dimming sadly and she wishing her luck as they continued to discuss.

As they continued to walk and talk, they soon got to the grocery store, which had become overtly familiar to the both of them. This was usually the spot, where they parted ways whenever they left the bakery together, and now it was time to bade goodbye still.

Facing each other, the two women smiled reciprocatingly and leaned in for an embrace.

Disentangling and wishing her good luck, Gina then waved at Madison and crossed the road, walking into the street that would lead her home.

Madison headed off to the other direction, thinking of all her travel plans. She was trying not to get overwhelmed from all the planning but it was getting harder. She just wanted to get everything over with, but the pain of abruptly leaving continued to tug at her heart.

She had really liked the job at the bakery and her friends. Work was the only place where she felt a sense of normality, but now that had been taken away from her, and she had to face yet another harsh reality of life.