Chapter 11

Madison woke up with a start, as the noise of the incessant banging on her door resounded heavily through the room.

As she hurried to her feet, wondering who could possibly be knocking like that, a sharp ache ran through her head, making her grimace in pain.

She still had the searing headache from yesterday, and she hasn't done anything to treat it, as she wasn't sure if she could afford to get some painkillers with the little change she had.

Her eyebrows cocked in surprise when she unlocked her door to reveal the motel owner.

She knew he was the owner, because she had seen him the day she moved in with Alvarez.

Rubbing her hands up and down to warm herself up, she greeted him. "What can I do for you today?" She asked, puzzled as to what he could want so early in the morning.

Her heart skipped a beat as a thought crossed her mind.

But she waved it away.

Alvarez had paid for the room already, so it couldn't possibly be because she was owing. "You have some visitors waiting to see you outside."

"Visitors...?" She trailed off, wondering who could possibly be here to see her. She didn't know anyone in this state, and it definitely couldn't be Alvarez.

He would have called.

She was confused though but nonetheless, she nodded as she followed behind him, trying in vain to rub sleep out of her heavy eyes, gripping her robe around her tightly.

As she walked, Nikita reminiscing was reminded of the fact that she couldn't remember the last time she had had a proper eight-hour sleep, and with these thoughts on her head keeping her up late at night more often, that eight hour sleep had reduced drastically.

Still walking through the exit of the motel with the manager in front of her, she nearly stumbled to her feet in shock as a large number of camera clicks and flashes blurred her vision, making her raise her hand, in a bid to shield her eyes.

Her heart thumped in fear as the mass paparazzi launched at her, entrapping her in the midst of strange faces, questions and camera clicks.

Tears stung the back of her eyes as she realized that the manager had tricked her into coming out here.

But why? Why would he... She suddenly remembered the receptionists from last night.

The mockery and laughter in her eyes...the magazine.

They must have tipped off the media, or was it vice versa and now they would make some money of her humiliation.

She had been living her quiet life, suffering silently in her misery, but now, in a split second, she was suddenly the most infamous person in the state of New York.

All because of Damien, and the added reminder that he was a well known public figure.

Madison felt like her world was coming to an end as she struggled to escape the swarm of people, who continued taking snapshots of her and throwing questions her way.

"You're the waitress from last week's event, right?"

"You're the most talked about women on the internet this week. How do you feel about your sudden bad reputation?"

"Any comments on the two thousand dollar dress? Have you been able to pay for that yet?"

"Rumor has it that you knew Playboy billionaire Damien Daniels from the past. How true is this? Can you tell us anything about it?"