Chapter 22

The thing Madison liked about the beach was the sort of freedom that came with it.

From the feeling of the sand beneath her feet, to the cool air that billowed through her clothes, and her hair, Madison couldn't deny the fact that everything was peaceful, putting her at ease...

At ease... That Madison wasn't sure about, and as she stood at the shore seemingly enjoying the scenery and the cool evening air, her mind was miles away from here.

She had her mind in the past, during times like these when things had been different, and the thoughts all rushed through her mind... There was this particular one Madison had drifted off to.

It was to painful, and she longed to forget this memory, bury it deep where she couldn't reach out to it, but just as she kept running away from it, it kept coming back...

Flashback... Some years back...

"You dare disrespect me in this manner? How dare you!"

Madison shook from head to toe as her father thundered over her, pure rage dripping from his tone as he stared down at her with a furious look that she had never seen in his eyes.

Tears streamed from her eyes down to her chest as she begged at his feet, her heart pounding, lips trembling at the same time, unable to say the right words too.

"Get up! Fucking get up!" He roared, cursing something he never did at all.

His eyes bloodshot as he stared down at her, Madison let out a wistful whimper when she saw him bend down, and forcefully dragged her from the floor of her room where she was kneeling.

He pushed her out roughly into the large corridor, making sure she landed badly on the floor, with her arm grazing the wall painfully.

"Dad, p-please...I'm sorry." Madison begged, tears streaming down her face as she slumped to the floor, gripping the hem of her mother's dress nearby and sobbing at her feet.

She begged and begged, but her father wasn't listening, and before  Madison could even comprehend exactly what was going on, he had bounded across the room in two steps, flinging her wardrobe open and grabbing the first two bags his hands touched.

No! He wouldn't do this, she thought to herself, the horrific realization dawning in her as she began to beg again, "No, no, Dad please...!"

When he got to where she was standing, as she had managed to get up from the floor earlier, he grabbed her roughly by the arm, tugging on it and pulled her out of her mother's grip, separating the both of them instantly.

She could only cry as he dragged past the corridor and down the stairs, until finally he was by the exit pass of the living room,  pushing her toward the door, "Get out of my house, this instant!"

Madison clapped a hand over her mouth in shock, shaking her head as tears poured down her face, "I-I'm sorry...

I'm sorry... p-please. Father you can't do this to me. I'm your only daughter."

Her mother who was also sobbing ran to her aid, using her body as a shield between Madison and her husband, and with her hands clapped together in a sign of plea, she dropped to her feet, "Honey, I beg you, in the name of everything we believe in, p-please.. she's so young. You can't just cast her out like this. Where would she go? Who would she turn to? Who would take care of her? Yes she made a mistake but she's still our—"

"Silence!" Mr Connor cut in rage dripping from his look, as he spat out, "Do you have any idea what this means? She's been sleeping around like a slut! To make everything worse, of all the men in this town, she had to carry the child of that low-life? That insignificant excuse of a man? That don of a bitch? Disgusting! You, and that thing in your belly have no place in this house. Now get out. I won't repeat myself."