Chapter 30

Madison wiped her sweaty palms on the faded jeans she was wearing, as she tried to reassure herself that she could do this.

She could leave her house, go outside, and get some things done, after all it was broad daylight. She had nothing to be scared of, she decided, but the more she kept convincing herself that she could make it, the more afraid she felt.

Ever since Gina had told her about those people monitoring her, Madison couldn't help but feel paranoid about the whole thing.

She could remember how she had ran home that day, forgetting everything she had come to do, and it was not until she was safely locked up in her house that she realized that she had not even done what she had went out to do.

The main reason why she had gone to the bakery had escaped her memory after Gina had given her that upsetting news, and slumping on her bed tears filling her eyes, she had chided herself when she realized that after all the money she had spent on a cab, the enthusiasm and excitement she had felt, nothing had come out if it.

Which was why was off to the bakery again today. She wanted to try her luck, and also she really needed a job, to make sure she could take care of herself, pay her rent, and most importantly, keep herself sane.

She would go crazy if she stayed cooped up in this four walled room, and also she needed to inquire about the employment vacancy, stalker or no stalker.

Taking a deep breath, she grabbed her small purse and walked out of her house, making sure the lock was secured tightly before leaving.

She didn't have enough money for a taxi so she decided to take a bus which would drop her halfway, and then she would walk the rest of the short distance to the bakery.

Soon she got to her destination with the public bus dropping her of as planned, and then she began the short walk to the bakery.

Suddenly, while she was walking, she felt herself go cold all over. It felt like someone was watching her, and unable to shake off the feeling that someone was following her, she increased her pace, walking faster.

She could already see the entrance of the bakery, and just as she took another step she heard the soft but recognizable sound of a camera clicking and instantly she made a turn.

Right there before he could disappear into the bushes, Madison caught a slight glimpse of a man dressed in black. She blinked her eyes twice telling herself that she must be dreaming, but the camera flash had been as clear as day and she had seen that bright white light before he ran away.

Instinctively, already feeling cold all over and afraid she quickened her steps the more as she fled towards the bakery, her hands clutching the sides of her jacket as she tried to calm herself down.

The moment she got into the bakery, she stared behind her to see if anyone had followed her into the building, but the entrance was empty and looking round she could see that there wasn't a strange person present.

What she was seeing instead, were the workers moving around the bakery and engrossed in their chores.

Fear gripping Madison immediately, she tried her possible best to blend into the crowd just in case the person outside tried anything like following her or what not.

She walked up to one of the workers, already deciding that she had to get on with her life.

"Good morning, how may I help you today?" The worker recited their customer service mantra, plastering a smile on her face, but Madison was not listening, and her eyes continued to roam around the room.

"Ma'am?"

She quickly turned around, "I-I'm so sorry," She blurted out, "I was just wondering if...sorry, I got some information from a friend of mine. She said there was a vacancy here, and I was just wondering if it was still available?"