Chapter 27

KATHERINE

Slicing red apples before eating them usually calmed Katherine down, the reason being because that she was terrible at anything that concerned kitchen work.

So if she kept struggling to cut the shiny fruit, it would take her mind off other troubling things today, but today it did little to calm her down. If anything, it only made her think of other satisfying things she could be doing with the small kitchen knife.

As she deliberately cut through each slice, carefully as though it was a kind of ritual, her eyes flew over to the pictures laid on the table in front of her.

The picture irritated her to no end, and the huge grins on the faces of Damien and his ex lover seemingly mocking her. Her anger beginning to resurface again, she kicked hard against the lowly kitchen table making every single thing she had struggled to peel, along with the plates to fall to the floor, clanging heavily and making loud noises.

"Fuck!" She yelled, grabbing up the pictures and ripping through them. After hours of searching through Damien's room, she had finally found the small box where he had stashed the rest of the pictures from his childhood.

She had known he would have more memories of that bitch, and she had been right when she had seen the small box. Her heart had pounded in anger when she continuously pulled out different pictures, with Madison always present in each of them.

They were either hugging, kissing, playing or doing something else that didn't resonate with Katherine, and only pushed her fury to the core.

It was obvious in those pictures how close they had been, how much he had loved her, and yet he had blatantly lied to her. He had pretended not to care about her anymore, but Katherine was not fooled by that act anymore.

If he didn't care just like he said, then why would he stash away all their memories after all these years? Why would he still keep it?

There was still something else that was very unclear to her.

She knew that Damien had been from a lower class and status in the past. She had even heard this from Damien himself, but he never told her the full story, and whenever she brought it up he would always wave of her concerns saying it was a thing of the past but now she knew better. There was more to this story than he was letting on.

The Mr Connor he always talked about was his ex's father, and whatever he had done to Damien must have so despicable to make Damien hate him so much till this day.

She needed answers, she needed to know.

What had this man done to make Damien burn with so much hatred? To make him strive and work his way to success twice as hard?

All these were unanswered questions that Damien kept avoiding, ever single time.

Also what part had Madison played in this? Whatever it was, that made Damien this ruthless, well as long as they were related to Madison in some way, then she decided that she had to know.

It was starting to get more complicated and baffling with each passing day, and now it  occurred to Katherine that she really didn't know Damien as much as she thought she did. His past was still a mystery, one she was yet to uncover and she didn't like it at all.

But...it wouldn't be for long again. She had the right resources in her reach, soon she would have all the information she yearned for.

As she sighted a picture of Madison grinning as she stood in the sunlight, she angrily picked it up. Her eyes moved over Madison's strawberry blonde curls and she hissed.

Katherine couldn't even understand what Damien had seen in her.

She wasn't even that pretty, Katherine mused. She herself, was ten times hotter and classier than this bitch, so what exactly was the problem? Why would Damien still consider her, or even think about his ex when he already had someone like her?