Chapter 35

"I'm making lunch. I'll bring some over to the office later."

No! Damien wanted to yell this from his end of the phone call, but he bit his tongue and swallowed his words back. He didn't want to offend her at all, and so he listened to Katherine call out the list of things she was considering making for lunch.

Even after he had made up his mind to tell her about the lunch disaster from the last time, he had forgotten, and yet again she was about to do the exact same thing for him.

After they made up the last time at his office, Katherine had been trying ever so fervently to bring things back to normal.

She was spending almost each night with him since that day, calling him, and leaving romantic messages that he barely replied to.

Their last dinner date had gone pretty well and Damien was convinced that she was over it all, maybe she outs give him some space now that he'd apologized but his hopes were short lived because now it seemed she was trying so hard, which he didn't expect at all.

He longed to tell her that her last 'lunch' had scarred him, but he didn't want to risk getting into another fight and he didn't even have the energy to bear one.

"Okay, that sounds great. But I have a meeting right after my usual lunch break, so I don't think you cooking again would be necessary." He said, hoping his words would dissuade her at least.

"Oh okay, I'll just send someone to drop it off then." She said and added, "But you have to promise to send a picture of you eating it."

Damien shut his eyes in relief a bit. This was good. If she wasn't around she couldn't force him to eat, and he could pretty much look like he was eating the food when he took a picture. "Okay then, bye I have to go now."

"Bye, see you later love!"

As soon as he ended the call, he tossed his phone on the table and leaned back into his chair.

Picking up the office phone, he ordered his secretary into his office, and in less than two minutes she appeared.

"Sir..." She greeted, "You rang for me?"

Damien nodded, "I need you to get my lunch arranged from the restaurant."

"The usual?"

"Yes, the usual." He nodded, pushing away the guilt that had begun to prick him in the chest. He couldn't possibly work for ten hours straight, and then proceed to eat garbage because his girlfriend was experimenting her culinary skills.

His secretary nodded and was about to leave when Damien remembered something, "Oh, and Mr Rudiger will be here soon to see me so don't bother checking in, just let him in."

The private investigator had informed him earlier this morning that he had some news, and this was part of the reason why Damien had not gone back home already since he was already done with work.

An hour after Damien had eaten his lunch and was reviewing some of his notes, Mr Rudiger walked into the office. Damien looked up offering him a seat as they exchanged greetings.

"I'm hoping you have something for me?" Damien asked, glancing curiously at the files in the private investigator's hand.

Mr Rudiger nodded, "Yes, sir I do have something interesting that you'd most definitely want to hear. It concerns Mr Connor directly."

Damien adjusted in his seat, "Yes? Go on."

Now the case was underway again, and more than ever Damien realized how much he actually wanted this. With everything that had happened in the past several weeks, it was almost like he had taken his eyes off the important thing but not anymore.

The investigation was back in full force, and he needed to know every single detail... He wanted to know just enough to slip in unannounced, and destroy that dastardly family that had made his teenage life a living hell.

"Remember you asked me to run a check on his worth now, and everything regarding his business right? Ranging from public shares, investments, property? Well we did that and it turns out he has sold off everything he owned. Including the processing factory you mentioned one time, and his old mansion, but luckily I managed to find the people he sold it to."

Damien sat up straighter, his mind racing with ideas as he formulated a plan in his head.

So Mr Connor had nothing more to his name. That explained a lot already, and the news was more than good.

He could buy back the factory and their home... that would hit them most.

Mr Rudiger slipped a printed map out of the files he was holding, turning it so Damien would get a better view. "This...is the spot where the mansion was located. The buyer was going to build a hotel in the area, but for the right price, he's willing to sell. The same goes for the factory as well."

"And you've discussed with these people?" Damien asked.

Mr Rudiger nodded, "I had it in mind that you might be interested in the property so I scheduled a meeting with them as soon as I could. And we've also come to a sort of agreement."

Damien was still buried in his thoughts.

"The factory and the mansion, are two of the very things Mr Connor built from his blood and sweat. He would be furious if he comes to know they are in your possession, because even if it's no more his, it would still mean that they would remain indebted to you forever."

For the first time in days, Damien smiled. This was the best way to start a revenge plot. He could already imagine the look of astonishment on Mr Connor's face when he came to realize this, and he couldn't help but smile to himself.

He faced Mr Rudiger, grinning widely, "Then it's is settled. Meet with these people, draft up a sales contract and finalize everything. We're buying it!"

Damien threw his head back, jubilating internally. He decided that this was a success... one step closer to where he wanted to be. It was perfect!

"Right away, sir."

"And remember, all of this must be done anonymously. Do not reveal to them who you are working for. Just in case they happen to still be in contact with the Connors. There will be no names mentioned, just contracts and cash. Understood?"

Mr Rudiger nodded, "Yes sir."

"Good, thank you!"

As the private investigator proceeded to pack up his files, Damien relaxed into his chair, his mind somewhere else.

Speaking of the Connors had made him think of Madison. He still had not made up his mind about the whole thing, of visiting her to talk and all.

He couldn't go to London, and he couldn't just sit back here and do nothing either. The thought of going to London made him sick to the stomach, and he sucked in a sharp breath trying to make up his mind.

"One more thing, Mr Rudiger." He called out just as the private investigator neared the exit, and he quickly turned.

Damien felt his chest tighten as the investigator waited for him to speak, but he was busy weighing his options.

Going to London was a big step he wasn't sure he was ready to take yet, but there was a lot on the line and he couldn't move any further if he didn't get to talk to her first.

"While you're at it with the buyers, I need you to do something else in London."

"Okay sir...?"

Damien swallowed, "I need you to find Madison Connor's current location. Where she stays in London now, and whatever piece of information you can find as well, you do so and get back to me."

"Okay. That can be done." With one last nod at Damien, the private investigator exited the office, leaving Damien to his thoughts.

Maybe this would be his first step to facing his past, he decided, trying to steady his breathing once more.

A step that he wasn't so excited to take.

.......

Thanks for reading. 💕