Prologue End

Benjamin dropped Timothy to the ground. Timothy then grabbed his neck trying to catch his breath and followed Benjamin into the clinic. Timothy went to the file cabinet and grabbed a folder out and tossed it on the counter next to him. Benjamin grabbed the folder off of the counter and saw Carina's name at the top. He opened it and looked at the paperwork as well as the multiple ultrasounds. They were all dated from one week to six weeks.

"As you know shifter pups have a shorter gestational period than normal human children. Even if the mother is a human."

Benjamin kept looking at the ultrasounds repeatedly as if doing so could change the fact that not only did he kill his mate but he also killed his pup.

"Why didn't she tell me?"

Timothy took the folder from Benjamin and stuck it back into his file cabinet.

"Why would she tell you? You hated her. She would have thought that you would have hated the pup also."

Then Timothy slammed the cabinet shut. Benjamin felt like he had slammed the door shut on his life. Benjamin looked down and saw one of the ultrasound pictures had fallen out of the folder and onto the floor. He quickly pocketed it before Timothy could snatch it away, and left. Benjamin went into the packhouse and up to his room. He opened his top drawer and laid the ultrasound down next to the picture of Carina. His mate was gone, he couldn't believe it, he had finally done what he said he was going to do.

He killed his mate.