Chapter 38 The True Beginning

"Captain Barrett! There is a black mist approaching and both our people and the Citizens start to disappear!" One soldier calls out to him.

"What?" Barrett is surprised as then the black mist comes towards him, he is also being devoured inside.

"What shall we do, Chairman? Reiji Akaba has abandoned us." Bordeaux asks their leader.

"Hmm...it seems we have no choice but to try to win over Roget again. I'm sure we can agree with him." White Taki says with his usual smile.

"Indeed. He is the only one who can drive out the Academia right now since he has control over Security." Azul agrees with the chairman.

"From the very beginning, Lancers were small in number and most of their Duelists were sent to the Underground Facility. We cannot really expect much from him." Gael remarks on what happened during the Friendship Cup.

"Now that we have decided, we must–" Before Gray can finish, the black mist also covers the room as the members also disappear.

In the security room, Roget is watching people getting disappear, he muses, "So the Dark Signers are starting their plan huh? I might as well watch it as entertainment."

Back in Standard, Shuzo, Yoko, and the others hear screaming and they go outside from the You Show Duel School. "What's going on?" Shuzo asks.

Then they see people disappear inside the mist, and they are horrified as they hug one another, also being devoured inside.

In Academia, Leo and the other Academia members are also swallowed inside the mist, except for the three shadowy figures, one of them says, "Dark Signers? I guess we weren't expecting that..."

"Indeed, but it seems amusing to watch." The second one says.

As for Yuya and the others, they see the black mist devouring the city as Crow asks, "What is going on?"

"People are disappearing. Both Synchro Dimension Citizens and Academia..." Shun says.

But as the black mist comes to them, Yuya, Yuni, Katrina, Reisho, and Ruka's marks start to glow as they form a shield to protect every one of them.

"Our marks..." Reisho says.

"It protects us..." Ruka says.

"Hey, Yuya, what is actually going on here?" Sawatari asks.

"Well..."Before Yuya can explain, the mist disperses and they see no one on the streets, not even a single person or an animal.

"All the people are gone!" Rua says in shock.

"No way..." Frank says. "This is crazy..."

"Where did they go?" Tanner says a little scared.

Yuni asks, "Bruno, are you able to detect any survivors around?"

Bruno types on the mechanical arm and says, "No, there aren't any people except us."

"I see you are protected by the Marks, huh?" Just then, much to their surprise, in front of them, there are 8 Dark Signers with robes in front of them, due to their faces being hidden, nobody can tell who they are.

Yuya yells, "Is this your doing? Are you the ones who made them disappear?"

"Yes. Our fated battle should not have interference, so I've taken them to safer places." Condor says.

"Safer places? Sacrificing them to the Earthbound Gods is called safer places?" Yuni asks.

But they didn't answer Yuni's question. "It is time for the battle between the Signer and the Dark Signers to begin. We have set up 8 gates. Which were named Ccapac Apu, Ccarayhua, Aslla Piscu, Cusillu, Chacu Challua, Uru, Lililus, and Manibus." Aera says.