Chapter 6

Darkness surrounded him the moment he opened his eyes. It was as if he'd been locked in a closed room with no windows or lights. Theodore began to look around, clearly confused as to where he was. "Hello?"

As if responding to his voice, something appeared in front of him: Two deep crimson orbs stared at his tiny figure from within the dark, the large eyes shone with a hint of authority and it caused him to shake with fear.

[Hello.] A man's deep, rough tone sounded out.

"Who...Who are you?" Theodore tried to move his body but found that he was stuck in place, fear gripping every part of his elongated body.

[You chose me.] The voice continued. [So you should take a guess at my identity.]

That reminded him of what he was doing, it wasn't hard to tell who was talking to him right now. "Ouroboros?"

[That is I.] The eyes blinked and slowly Theo could feel the muscles in his snake body relax.

"Ah, hello. Could you maybe...fill me in on what's going on?"

[Of course, my favorite mortal, I shall explain whatever you want to know] Ouroboros' voice went up a pitch higher, as if he was happy.

[This place isn't something you mortal's minds could comprehend, but to keep it simple, this is my 'domain'. Since you chose me, it's only natural that you would get to meet me.]

"Huh? How is that related to me evolving?"

[That's where you are wrong.] The menacing eyes blinked again. [My situation is quite complicated, but I shall do my best to explain to you.]

Suddenly, the scenery around them changed, the red glaring eyes of the Ouroboros melted into the background as the darkness shifted and changed.

Soon, a combination of Greek and Egyptian style buildings manifested from nothingness and created a stage as the Ouroboros began telling his story.

[I am Ouroboros, the symbol of eternity and all that is considered discord.] A pitch black serpent appeared from the ground, rising into the air before circling into itself, eventually finding its tail before biting it.

[I am a mere sign yet at the same time I am a real, living being. However, I cannot ever show my existence to the world since they don't 'think' I'm real.]

The black snake opened its eyes and looked at Theo-No, it was looking at something behind him. He turned and saw that the buildings had parted before showing him a real bird's-eye-view of a busy city.

[True to my name, I represent one thing and also its counterpart. I became something yet nothing at the same time.]

[Because of this, I was exhilarated to know that you've picked me-By doing so, you've given me a chance to be 'truly' known.]

The scenery changed again and the Greek-Egyptian-style structures enclosed the view of the human world and they suddenly broke apart into small, fine dust particles.

They flew in front of Theodore and began to reconstruct itself into a small stage where the rest of the ashes became its actors; Little figurines of humanoid beings sat on top of clouds while some were shown resting on a throne.

[Gods and deities gain strength from the beliefs of mortals. I am no different, hence when I realized that a god had presented an opportunity for small divine beings like me to become stronger, I immediately took up the offer.]

"Wait." Theodore spoke, immediately focused on what Ouroboros had just said. "So the god that'd reincarnated me...Set all of this up?"

[It is beneficial for all sides, that's why I and the others had decided to go along with his ploys. But alas, I cannot say the name of this god or else the 'contract' will be nullified.]