Chapter 33

Theodore frowned. “Fight? Like a tournament?”

“Sort of, it’s meant to evaluate individual strength.” Asmodeus replied as she hopped onto Lily’s back.

“…Do I really have to come?”

“You must.” Asmodeus’ voice suddenly turned serious along with her expression. “The Hall of Sins is necessary for keeping the demon realm stable since it has been tied to human beliefs. Without a story, this entire world will fall apart.”

Theodore didn’t know what all of it had meant, but he did understand that his negligence could cause devastating damages to Hell. “Okay, it’s on the Winter Solstice, right? I’ll show up, don’t worry.”

“It’s about a week from now, don’t forget.”

“Yes, yes…I still need to get back to my friends first though, can you send me back right now?”

Asmodeus huffed while she smiled in amusement. “You’re worried about them but not me?”

“You’ll be fine.” Theodore’s perturbed tone caused the demon king to laugh out loud.

“I was joking. Anyway, the teleporter is at my main capital. We can use the Pearl Palace’s newly built one to head there first.”

Theo nodded as he relaxed his body, knowing that he would be back at the human world soon, he was still extremely worried about their well-being, especially his father, he was still a newbie Hero and didn’t have a lot of fighting experience outside those few months spent in the Delphi Forest. ‘Gabriel is unpredictable…Who knows what else he’s hiding?’

He decided to ignore those thoughts for now, seeing that there was no use fretting too much about it now that he would be by their side in a moment. Asmodeus commanded the army to move and he followed them back towards the Lake of Rage.

.
.
.

Theodore watched as Cyrus led Asmodeus’ army back towards Baator’s main capital, since the teleporter wasn’t meant to transport an army, they needed to go back on foot. “I thought Baator was the name of the nine layers of hell.”

Asmodeus, who was still on Lily’s back, giggled when she heard his observance. “Well, I thought you would know that some of the human myths aren’t exactly true? I mean, you guys thought I was a man!”

“Your name sounded manly.”

That earned another laugh from the woman. “An elegant name such as mine?  A man’s name?”

“It should be a boy’s name though.” Theodore said jokingly. “Or did you secretly change your gender?”

Asmodeus smiled. “Maybe.”

He didn’t expect that response. “Seriously?”

The demon king didn’t reply and instead ordered Lily to head into the waters.

“What the—“ Theodore sighed before turning around to face Rhys and the army behind him, thinking that he should dismiss them first before following Asmodeus. “You all did well today, thank you for your assistance, you can go back to the barracks or go to your family if you wish.”

The merhumans were quite fierce in battle, they had taken pride in their strength since ancient times and had vowed to only follow those who they acknowledge, it wasn’t a surprise to see that most of them had a cheerful expressions on their faces as they chatted with one other, seemingly unfazed by experiencing the heat of a battle.

Some of them were gravely injured and were being carried and supported by their fellow warriors, though even they weren’t complaining about the pain and even laughed it off, saying that they’d given their opponent an upper hand as pity.