Chapter 45

You might be wondering why I haven't posted as scheduled, but SURPRISE! I've been working on 5 Chapters this week and I'll be posting them all TODAY! (31st December 2022)

It's supposedly my New Year gift to you readers :)

Enjoy reading and Happy New Year everyone!

--------------------------------------------------

Derek woke up in a cold sweat, his breathing irregular and his eyes were wide, terrified of what he'd just seen. He slowly brought his shaky hands to his face and rubbed it while groaning softly to himself, back slouching forward allowing his elbows to rest on his thighs.

'Why is this keep happening…?'

Derek slowly got up, finding his way through the darkness of his bedroom before finally ending up in the bathroom. He clumsily flicked the lights on and made his way towards the sink, turning the tap and splashing some water onto his pale face.

Looking up, he saw his own reflection in the mirror: it was a young man with a sharp jawline covered in a nicely trimmed goatee, and his hazel eyes matched his dark quiff-styled hair.

Derek stared quietly at himself, noticing the colors slowly returning to his face, he let out a long and tired sigh before pushing himself off of the sink, rubbing his face once again.

‘It’s been showing up in my dreams for seven days straight…’ His body quivered after the memories returned to him, the vivid images were burnt straight into his mind after seeing the same thing over and over again. ‘Is it a sign? Is he out to get me?’

Derek recalled how his dreams had gone. Every night he would end up in an unfamiliar place, the ground painted like the sky with stars dotted along the dark blue floor, as if he was standing in space. Each time he took a step, the area around his feet would ripple ever so slightly, making everything seem unreal. But then a smog darker than black would suddenly wash over his figure, it gave him the feeling of being suffocated, grabbed tightly by the throat with pure malice radiating from those tendril-like smoke.

Though what was most vivid about the dream wasn’t the realistic pain he’d felt, but the sight of those…eyes, shining an emerald green with slit pupils that seem to be staring right into his soul.

Even if they were clearly different, Derek could immediately tell whose it belonged to.

‘Theodore Varon.’

[…Fool.]

After those words echoed out from all around him, Derek would be pushed out of his dreams and into the real world once again, always finding himself sweating buckets and his heart trying to escape his chest.

‘Damn…!’ Derek shook his head as he walked out of the bathroom, finding himself a towel hung by a chair and wiping his face dry. ‘It’d been years! Why did that f*cker appear now?’

He’d had enough of this, the nights of not getting enough rest had been hindering his working proficiency, and it became way too difficult for him to properly fight while his mind kept wandering to that cursed nightmare.

‘…I need to find Rhys.’

.
.
.

Rhys sneezed, breaking the silence that’d engulfed his entire office, he slightly frowned before going back to the documents that were piled up on top of his desk, they were separated into three; the taller stack was the papers that he’d already read, the smallest one needed Theodore’s signature, and the last pile was half as high as the tallest stack, with his working pace, it shouldn’t be long until he was done.