Chapter 38

Theodore frowned at Asmodeus. “I would need to fight you in a few days anyway, what’s the point of showing off your techniques to an enemy?”

“I’m doing this to help you, Theo.” Asmodeus sighed with a shake of her head. “I don’t want you to die.”

“I won’t…” Theodore could tell that the demon was genuinely concerned for his well-being, though she seemed to have trouble expressing that in a more ‘normal’ method, she was once happy and joyful but then moments later she suddenly became serious. “Okay, fine. If it will ease your mind, I will fight you.”

Asmodeus readied her whip, although she didn’t strike just yet. “First one to be knocked down loses, is that okay?”

Theodore nodded, and as soon as the demon got her answer, the whip flew towards him at an inhumane speed, coming straight for his neck, though he was swift to react and he managed to avoid getting hit by a hair’s length.

He didn’t waste any time continuing their conversation and prepared to counterattack, since he wasn’t under the ‘no-magic’ restriction anymore, he was free to go all-out.

[Serpent Bearer’s Domain: Devouring Winter.]

Asmodeus flinched and her movements halted for a moment as a burst of cold air radiated from Theodore’s figure, a large blue magic circle appeared underneath his feet and the entire area began to catch frost, soon enough, a storm of cold wind began to brew around him as the flora withered away at a rapid pace.

It seemed that the demon king wasn’t expecting to see a spell of this magnitude. ‘…Was I the one underestimating him?’

The Ophiuchus’ Staff appeared into Theodore’s hand, further giving him strength, his mana was recovering back faster than before and he could feel his body becoming more nimble. “You can surrender now if you want.”

His remark only caused Asmodeus to smile. “Surrendering twice in a row isn’t really my thing.” As soon as she finished speaking, her whip would lash through the air, cutting through any ice structure that rose to block the attack, it would reach Theodore in mere seconds and seemed to be too fast for him to react to.

[The Personal Attribute ‘Godspeed’ has been activated!]

<<Speed: 850 —> Speed: 4,250>>

[Waning! A major imbalance between stats has been detected!]

[Godspeed’s buff duration has been reduced: 10 Minutes —> 60 Seconds.]

Even if he only had a minute to spend using Godspeed, it’d allow him to bring up his staff and block the whip attack with its pole.

However, this only caused the lasso to wrap itself around it, giving Asmodeus the opportunity to throw him off balance by yanking her weapon back. Theodore quickly regained his composure though and used his strength to pull his staff towards him, locking them in a game of tug of war.

Meanwhile, the two men watching the fight could only stay away from the basketball court’s perimeter, the evolved Devouring Winter now became too cold for them to stand without shivering, even if the domain wouldn’t view them as a target, just the natural aura was enough to ward them away.

“…She’s standing toe to toe with Theodore.” Eugene mumbled with a frown, staring at the scene as if he was cheering on an intense football match.

“No, how is Theo even fighting her on equal grounds? Have you seen her aura?” Merlin had a horrified expression on his face, though he wasn’t doubting his best friend, he just couldn’t help but feel worried that something bad would happen again.