Chapter 12

“…What did you say?” Rhys glared at the two lackies who’d once again came back to his office empty-handed.

The brown-haired man sitting to Rhys’ left tensed up as he spoke. “I—We’re very sorry sir! We simply couldn’t find him anywhere!”

“Y—Yes!” The young blonde man on the right spoke next. “He completely disappeared! Maybe he’d already died somewhere—“

“Enough with your pathetic excuses!” Rhys pulled out the sword that was strapped to his belt, just by taking it out of the sheath, both men's chests suddenly were cut deep and blood trickled from the wounds, causing them to whimper with fear.

‘Wait…! Mister Griffins, please give me another chance!”

“Chance?” Suddenly, the blonde’s right arm fell off his shoulders and blood gushed out violently.

 It happened in only a mere second. 

The armless boy fell to the ground while screaming in agony as the pain began to register. Rhys ignored him and spoke. “You want another chance? Do you know how long it’d been since I gave you those orders?”

The dark-haired man swallowed nervously and answered instead of his friend. “I—It’s been two months, sir…”

“Oh?” Rhys’ lips curled up into a smirk. “So you do know, then where are the results? ‘We didn’t find him’ is not a plausible excuse now is it? Your target is literally an old man yet you can’t even find him after two whole months?”

“I…”

“Don’t say anything further.” The tanned man stared coldly at the lackeys on the ground, the one that had his arm cut off had already passed out from pain and would soon die of blood loss if not treated. “I was generous enough to give you guys two months…And yet here we are.”

The sword in Rhys hand shimmered ominously as it was raised, the dark-haired man knew exactly was what about to happen and his eyes widened with pure terror. “W—Wait…Wait please sir…Please! I swear I’ll bring him to you next time…! Please!—“

‘Slice!’

 With just a flick of his blade, the two men’s bodies were sliced clean in half. The upper portion of the young man fell forward and splattered on the ground.

As blood began to pool around the two bodies, Rhys stepped back with a disgusted look on his expression. “Hmph! Oliver, get the maids to clean up this mess.”

The old butler, who’d always been standing by the door of Rhys’ office, gave his master a bow. “Right away, sir.” He responded and would begin to make his way out of the room.

“Wait.” Rhys’ words caused the old man to stop in his tracks, he turned back around before lowering his head again.

“Yes, young master?”

“I want you to go finish what they couldn’t” 

At that sudden order, the butler’s bright blue eyes shone with a hint of lunacy. “Of course, young master. I’ll be sure to bring that man to you.”

Rhys waved and the servant quickly left the room, after he was alone, he made his way over to the covered window, carefully navigating around the blood and bodies of the two unfortunate lackeys.

He pushed the curtain away slightly just enough for the light of the morning sun to seep through and swept his eyes over the busy streets below while frowning lightly. 

“Before the night of the Winter Solstice…huh.”

.
.
.

<<Name: Theodore Varon