Chapter 68

Isis frowned at Theodore's question. She straightened her back and spoke. "Have you checked Olympus?"

"Yes, I trashed that place upside down and Ra never showed." Theodore's tone was as cold as ever. It made Isis shuffled in her seat. She averted her gaze, though her breathing remained rhythmatic. 

Is she hiding something? Theodore caught himself before Isis could notice him staring. He turned to Bastet instead, figuring that the truth would come out with time. "What about you? Why were you two fighting anyway?"

"...'Lady' Isis suggested to all of us that we rebel against Ra while he's not present." Bastet's tone sounded like it was lashed with venom. Each of her words stressed and clear. Her furrowed brows didn't make her look any friendlier. She narrowed her eyes at him. "And why are 'you' looking for him?"

"First, he's a Code Black criminal." Theodore gave Bastet a cold, scornful gaze. "And second, he killed my father."

Bastet's eyes turned around. She shook her head and spoke. "There's no way Ra would do something like that."

"The Scorching Heaven is clueless..." Isis sighed and slid off of the wall. She opened her palm and magenta mist bursted from her fingers. It gathered above her hand and an image appeared from within the fog.

Bastet bit her lips as she stared at what Isis showed her. It took her a few moments, but she lowered her head after seeing the destroyed buildings and bloody streets of the human world. "...Was that Sekhmet's doing?"

There was no way she wouldn't recognize her counterpart's traces. Isis nodded as she lowered her hand, prompting the mist to disperse. "Theodore executed Sekhmet...we both know that lioness only follows Ra, she wouldn't dare to do this on her own even if she's a bloodthirsty killer."

"But...!" Bastet couldn't find her words. She bit her lips, frowning like she was about to cry. "...Okay, but there needs to be a reason! His Majesty wouldn't do this without a purpose!"

"His purpose is power." Theodore's tone remained the same. "He chased Apophis out, but wasn't satisfied with his standing, he wants to take over the human world and Apophis is trying to stop him."

"Apophis?"

"She is my mother." Theodore didn't leave any room for Bastet to say anything. "If Ra successfully colonizes the human world...Not only would the other pantheons be mad, but the Scale of Balance will be disrupted."

"I...I know that!" Bastet averted her gaze. She didn't dare to look the other goddess in the eyes, let alone Theodore. "But I really don't know where His—where Ra is right now...No one could possibly know."

Isis looked behind her and smiled. "Well, perhaps you are wrong about that, Bastet."

"..." Another person stepped out from behind one of the pillars. A tall man with a white robe draped over his elegant, chiseled form. His skin was the color of warm bronze and his dark eyes gleamed with both calmness and intelligence. Despite his humanoid body, he has the head of an ibis bird. His identity revealed the moment he stepped into the light: He was Thoth, the god of wisdom. "My eyes may be sharp, but I am not all-seeing like Heimdall."

The god's voice was deep and sonorous, melodious with a calming quality that soothes the soul. Theodore's eyes widened, locking gaze with Thoth. He wasn't surprised by the god's appearance, but it was the fact that he couldn't feel his aura at all until he revealed himself. "...Are all Egyptian gods like that?"

Thoth chuckled. "If you meant us having the head of animals, no. You see this with Isis and Bastet. Though if you meant our ability to stay hidden...yes. We are an ancient pantheon who have roamed the divine realm ever since the beginning of mortal civilization, hiding and changing forms are one of our main specialties."