Chapter 40

Theodore blinked before looking around, he’d just walked through the door and immediately he’d been transported to an unknown location. Trees surrounded him from every angle, they rose tall and their leaves created a rooftop that blocked nearly all sunlight, though there were just enough for him to see his surroundings.

He couldn’t sense anyone’s presence so he thought that he might be alone, the situation was sort of similar to a book he’d read when he was younger, it was about a group of selected children that needed to kill each other to survive.

‘…Technically it’s kind of the same.’ He thought while sighing, sort of relieved that he didn’t have to fight anyone just yet, after all, it would be best if the other demon kings took each other out first.

He had saved his transformation time just for this occasion so he could stay in his human body longer, he thought that he could have more dexterity if he’s smaller and has hands and feet. Though just as he was about to move, he felt something creeping closer to him.

The hair at the back of his neck stood on end, his eyes widened on reflex as he turned around and was instantly met with a blast of dark magic, though luckily for him, he stepped back and activated ‘Scales of the Serpent’ just in time and the spell was blocked.

“Hm? Not bad,” A womanly voice spoke as Theodore looked up at her with his eyes narrowed and brows tied up in a knot, he didn’t expect his first opponent to be Leviathan.

“…Do you think you have unfinished business with me?” He spoke in a low tone, to which Envy amusedly chuckled.

“So you do know,” Leviathan’s monstrous golden eyes shined fiercely as her body began to radiate a heavy demonic aura. “Lucifer’s strength was supposed to be mine, yet you foolish serpent stole it from me!”

Theodore didn’t know how to reply to that, he let out a soft huff before readying himself to cast a spell. ‘Her logic confuses me…’

A blue magic circle appeared in front of him before a blast of cold air erupted from its center, heading straight towards Leviathan.

[Frozen Disaster: Freeze.]

Just as Envy casted a cyan magic wall to block his spell, Theodore drew three more magic circles and let a barrage of icicle spears rain down onto it, not wanting to leave any opening for the demon king to recover.

Leviathan’s shield was holding on just as Theodore had expected, he increased the amount of magic circles while preparing a more powerful spell, using the ice bullets as a distraction.

However, before he could even finish casting, he felt a sharp pain run down his entire body. Wincing slightly at the sting, he paid attention to what caused it.

All of his magic circles had shattered like glass, its fragments falling onto the ground before disappearing. Leviathan was standing among all of it and in her hand was a large purplish blue scythe, its blade gleaming ominously. “Did you think you could put me down with a weak spell like that?”

Theodore didn’t reply and went back to focus on casting his intended spell, he didn’t want to use something flashy like Devouring Winter, it would definitely draw unwanted attention towards him, he couldn’t use holy magic immediately or else the demon king would grow too wary of him and it would be too difficult to outsmart otherwise.

The magic circle appeared in front of him, gleaming with power as magical energy began to gather around the central point before it would release a concentrated beam towards Leviathan.

[Frozen Disaster: Glacial Beam.]

The woman frowned with annoyance clearly expressed on her features, she drew her scythe and brought it down onto the spell. Glacial Beam didn’t seem to be doing what it should as Envy slowly pushed against the beam, walking closer and closer towards Theodore.