Chapter 48

Theodore leaned against a tree with his arms crossed while staring down at Miles on the ground, who was being surrounded by Merlin and Eugene in his human form. “So? Anything coming to mind yet?”

Miles pursed his lips, frowning before shaking his head. “I really can’t remember anything…It’s…foggy, ah!”

“What?” Theodore raised an eyebrow, feeling slightly hopeful at the sudden exclamation.

“I…I think I took a pill that Gabriel gave me…” Miles crooked his head to the side as he dug deeper into his clouded memories. “…I—That’s all.”

Theodore let out a tired sigh while his friends looked at each other worriedly, the information was completely useless as it basically told them nothing about what was supposed to be Gabriel’s plan.

“Maybe it’s just simple.” Merlin spoke with a shrug. “I mean, he could be trying to create a sort of super soldier to try and defeat you.”

“That’s true…” Eugene nodded along, frowning slightly at the thought. “Beastmen are technically stronger than Berserkers…”

While Theodore could agree with that theory, he simply felt that something wasn’t adding up. Why create a power-strengthening pill that has that bad of a drawback? Not to mention the fact that the person needed to be dead in order for the medicine to work too.

‘…Why create corpses of strong awakens?’

Everyone went completely silent for a moment, Miles had seemingly given up on trying to recall his lost memories, it was practically a waste of time and mental energy at this point.

Miles decided to speak first, his voice slightly shaking due to what he was about to say. “Theodore…Can I leave—“

“The f*ck are you on about?” Theodore cut him off in almost an instant, his eyes gleaming with anger despite his expression remaining neutral. “Those five aren’t even worth chasing, but you? You’re still human and aware of what you’ve done.”

“I—I’m sorry…!” Miles was considered to be even worse than Rhys in terms of personality, his background wasn’t even considered the least bit tragic unlike him, which practically meant that he was being an asshole just because he could.

Miles would’ve stood up for himself if not for the terrifying aura that Theodore was radiating, and the cold yet anger-filled gaze seemed to be pushing his head down, as if trying to make him bow. “I was wrong! I’ll…I’ll do anything! Please don’t kill me!”

Theodore couldn’t help but scoff at Miles’ words. “Guess the higher they are, the harder they fall. Rhys put up a lot of resistance than you, coward. Did you know how many times I needed to punch him until he stopped being annoying?”

His words caused Miles’ eyes to widen in a panic, he spoke up in a quivering voice while trying to stop himself from crying. “N-No…Please don’t hurt me either!”

“Wow, are you f*cking serious?” Theodore frowned although he didn't move just yet. “You want to get out of this scotch free? Why do you think that I would make you an exception?”

“I…!” Miles flinched as he began to back away slowly, although since Eugene was standing directly behind him, he didn’t manage to get very far.

Theodore sighed again as he pushed himself from the tree, arms unfolding and he began cracking his knuckles. “Hold him down for me.”

“Right away, boss!” Merlin spoke jokingly as he took hold of Miles’ arms, who tried but fail to struggle out of the grasp since Eugene was lazily pushing down both of his legs with his feet, the strength of a Beastman was more than enough to hold down a mere Spellblade who’s usually very weak without combining sword art and magic.