church

Gregorio visited the Paoay Church. He kneel to start to pray. But instead of sincere prayer he looks at his side and saw someone.

Not someone but a familiar person.

Visiting the Paoay church for the first time, Gregorio saw the love of his life. Irene.

They did not know each other of course. But since Gregorio is a confident man he approached her after the mass.

"Ahm hello miss?" Gregorio shyly and nervously called her.

Irene raised her eyebrow. "Ano yun?" She asked, having a hard feeling that Gregorio isn't Ilocano like them.

When Gregorio hear her voice he thinks that he want to fly in the sky now. "May tanong lang po sana ako." Greggy just reason out.

"Ano yun?" Irene repeated again.

"Well where's the... Bellagio resort?" Greggy asked her.

Irene take her time to stare at his face. "Left po kayo jan tapos dere deretsuhin niyo na po." Irene politely telling the direction.

Greggy know the way but he just wanted to talk to her, "Oh yes thank you again miss." Greggy said waving his hands.

Irene just smile awkwardly.

He hope that their paths will cross again. Of course it crossed again. At the Cape Bojeador lighthouse in Burgos.

This time Irene notice him first. Looking at the beach view of the Burgos.

She only admitted this time that Greggy is appealing man.

Greggy look at her, he waver his hand.

"Kamusta ka na miss?" He asked, feeling happy.

"Okay lang. Ikaw? Kamusta ang stay dito sa Ilocos?" Irene asked him, without awkward tone now.

"Yes it's actually good... Tama nga sila madaming magaganda dito." Greggy look at her.

Irene nodded, thinking that he is pertaining at the view and tourist spot.

"So hanggang kailan ka dito?" Irene asked.

"Limang araw pa." Greggy answer.

"What's your name pala? We are having conversations na without knowing each other's name." Irene chuckled.

"Greggy." Greggy answer

"I'm Irene." She said offering a hand shake.

Greggy smile, he accepted her hands. "Ang lambot naman." He can't help but to comment.

They went to the Bangui that afternoon. "Taga dito ka?" Greggy asked watching the Windmills.

"Hindi ba halata?" Irene asked.

"Hindi... Kasi mukha kang foreigner." Greggy answer.

She laugh snapping her fingers in front of his face.

Running at the long bridge of Patapat bridge. Greggy holding the camera capturing Irene.

"Ang ganda mo!" He compliment. Looking at the view and Irene on the screen camera.

They took a picture, on the bridge.

"Tara na... Kapit ka lang ng maigi ha." Greggy said. Watching Irene ride on the motorcycle.

"Wag mong pabilisan." Irene warned him.

He smiled, "Opo madam." Before starting the motorcycle.

Irene watching the view while Greggy is busy on driving the motor, holding on his waist tightly.

They spend times and days together while Greggy is staying at the Ilocos Norte.

"Pauwi na ako bukas." Gregorio said.

Laying down at the sand, hearing the wave and watching the countless star with Irene beside him.

"Hmm? Edi ingat..." She still doesn't want to let go of him.

"Eh kasi... Baka matatagalan ako sa pag balik." Greggy whispered.

Irene take a deep breath.

"Sama ako sayo." She decided.

Greggy look at his side, "Ha?" He doesn't know if she's just joking or what.

"Sama ako..." She repeated.

"Paano yang pamilya mo? Yang pag aaral mo?" Greggy asked her.

"Okay lang..." Irene answered.

Greggy laugh, "Isang taon na lang Irene ga graduate ka na." He said.

Greggy is just a freshly graduate, while Irene is taking her last academic year to graduate.

"Pero gusto ko ngang sumama sayo... Please." Irene begged.

Greggy can't stand seeing her to beg.

"Sige..." He approve.

"Talaga!?" Irene can't believe, she hugged him.

"Opo. Kaya uwi ka na po. To arrange your things. Wag ka magpapa huli... Baka hindi na ako makalabas ng Ilocos niyan." Greggy jokingly said.

Irene look at the time, in the middle of the night. She sigh putting her bag pack on her shoulder.

Slowly walking to go outside of their house.

"Kinakabahan ako..." She chanted over and over until she arrived at the gate.

Opening the gate slowly so it won't make any sounds. She stepped out.

"Greggy!" Calling his name.

Greggy look at his back, he is riding his motorcycle.

"Tara. Medyo mahaba ang byahe pag naka motor." He said helping her to ride the motor

Living in the same roof without label is perfect to them. Not until Greggy started to act differently.

Going home late, drunk, smell the perfume of other girls. Since they don't have any label Irene can't say anything about it.

One time Irene staring at her phone. "Ading kailan ka uuwi? Kahit isang text lang naman o kaya sign na maayos ka. Nag aalala na kaming lahat sayo." A text from her older sister.

She closed her eyes, "Masaya naman ako kasama si Greggy. Pero hindi na ngayon." She whispered to herself.

When the time that they have a time with each other. Irene got a guts to say it.

"Kamusta na tayo?" She asked.

"Pagod." Greggy bluntly answer.

"Buti alam mo." She smile at him.

Greggy stare at her, "Ano ba tayo?" He asked

A question that no one of them can answer. "Wala." Irene shrugged.

"Baka natuwa lang ako... Tayo sa idea of dating." She concluded.

"Baka nga..." Greggy nodded.

"Gusto ko nang bumalik ng Ilocos." Irene informed him.

"Ingat ka lagi..." Greggy smile. Hugging her tightly since it'll be the last time he can.

"Same to you..." Irene closes her eyes. Sniffing his smell, familiarizing with his touch.

"Baka sa susunod kaya na kitang piliin... Mahal naman kita..."

Irene look at him, she do remember him even how many years already passes. She give him a warm smile.

"Lord... I only asked for a better ending with our story." Irene prayed.

The nostalgic feeling of Paoay church, falling in-love, falling apart, falling in the same path. But ended up being strangers again.