Chapter Sixteen

Paul followed her scent, he was surprised to follow it to her family diner. He would never have thought to even look for her here, it was a good thing he followed her scent. He grabbed the spare key to the back door that was "hidden" in a flower pot. He unlocked the door and walked inside but as soon as he did he could hear her crying and immediately locked the door behind him and followed the crying sounds.

"What are you doing here Paul?" She asked with her back to the door. She didn't have to look to know it was him.

"How'd you know it was me?" He asked confused when she didn't turn around and continued to stack papers.

"You have a tendency to always know when I'm crying. When I'm breaking down. When I need you." She finished as she sobbed out again but this time Paul was quick to react. He stopped her from continuing to stack the papers and brought her into his chest as she continued to sob. She clutched onto the back of his shirt like her life depended on it. Her legs gave out and he brought them both down to the floor gently and let her cry into him. Despite what her sister said, she needed someone. She wanted and needed Paul. She felt better with him around. She felt calm and safe even more so since the day her mother died. She never understood why he never left her side since that day, she thought it was because her mother died but there was something more to that, she just never found out what it was.

"I'll always be here when you need me Rena." He whispered to her as he managed to cup her cheeks to make her look at him. "And I'm not going anywhere, I promise." He told her as he let go of her cheek with one hand and held out his pinky to her to hold just like he did witty her sister, Lena. He watched as she chuckled a little and wrapped her own pinky with his.

He moved her so they were both more comfortable with her back against his chest, still allowing her to hold his pinky finger. He was scared to tell her about the imprint bond, not knowing how to bring it up to her. He just needed to rip off the bandaid and do it. He was just scared of her reaction. They weren't together anymore, it was different now.

"I need to tell you something." He told her. Paul felt her tense up, he knew nothing good ever came out of "I need to tell you something" or "we need to talk" those conversations were the worst so her reaction was normal.

"What is it?" She whispered not turning her head to face him, scared of what he needed to tell her. Fearing the worst thing possible.

He moved his free hand to grab her chin and make her look at him. "Stop that. It isn't anything bad. At least not to me isn't" he told her. Paul watched as she moved to face him and waited for him to continue.

"How much do you know about the shapeshifters?" He asked.

"Not much just what my dad told me and Lena." She was going to continue but was interrupted by him.

"What did he tell you exactly?" He pushed on.

"Wolf telepathy" she said with a small chuckle as she continued "You can hear each other's thoughts. Your smell is heightened as a human, your fast as a wolf. Protectors of the tribe. You protect us from the cold ones and from the dangers that lurks around. You never get cold, your temperature is above that of a normal person." She finished as she placed a hand on his chest and mumbled "You're practically a heater now." He chuckled lightly and grabbed her hand that she placed on his chest and just held it.

"What do you know about Sam and Emily?" He questioned.

"Nothing really, I was too young to understand it but Sam had come over to talk to my father. I remember there was a lot of yelling. He kept saying he had no control over it. Sam was engaged to Leah but then all of a sudden he was hanging out with Emily. Sometimes when you know, you know, you know?" She questioned even herself hoping what she said made sense.