Chapter Eighteen

He doesn't know how long he slept for until he was awoken from his sleep by Serena. She was whimpering like she was scared, clutching her blanket she was covered with. His head snapped towards her immediately once he heard her whimper again. Paul wanted to comfort her from her nightmare that she could possibly be having.

He turned to his side and brought his hand over her to help her unclench her fist on her blanket. Her grip was strong but he managed to get it off as he turned her over to face him. Paul guided her head to lay on his arm as he pulled her closer to him. Serena nuzzled her head into his chest out of instinct as Paul whispered "It's okay. I've got you." He stiffened when he felt her hand on his chest moving up until she reached his cheek.

It was something she always did when they slept together. It was a form of comfort for him, it relieved him of any doubts he had between them. She did it even when she was awake, cupping his cheeks in her hands forcing him to look into her eyes and every time he looked into them he always saw how much she loved him and how much she truly cared for him.

But something about this was different as he put his own hand on hers and leaned in towards her putting his forehead on hers. It was like he was transported into a different time. One minute he was laying next to Serena and now he was standing on La Push beach.

Did I relax that much that I started to dream? Is this a memory I'm dreaming about?... he thought at he looked around trying to find something that would answer his questions. It wasn't until he heard laughter from a little girl that answered his questions. He doesn't know how he got here, he doesn't know how he's seeing what you're dreaming of or the memory you're in.

"Come on Papa." Little Serena screamed at her father. "You're going to slow." She said as she was dragging him to the edge of the water.

"Serena the beach isn't going anywhere." He told her as he picked up his speed to enlighten her. "Why'd you want to come here anyways?" He questioned her once they reached the edge of the receding water.

"Just listen Papa." She whispered to her father.

Paul walked up to her until he was standing on the opposite side of her father. And he listened as well. He wanted to know what was so important about being at the beach. Even while they were together, he always found her at the beach.

"I don't hear anything." He father told her as he tried to listen to what she was hearing. Even with his wolf hearing he didn't hear anything.

"Close your eyes and listen real carefully Papa. I swear you can hear it." She says watching her father close his eyes.

Serena watched her father close his eyes as she looked back at the sea. The waves crashing against the sand. All you can hear are the waves. She smiled ahead of her, walking a little so the waves could touch her tiny feet, eyes closed happily. Her father on the other hand, keeping his eyes closed trying to listen to what his daughter wanted him to hear, didn't hear much. Inhaling and exhaling, feeling like his eyes were closed for hours but in reality they were only closed for mere minutes.

"Sweet pea all I hear are the waves" her father said as he opened his eyes to see his daughter smiling with her eyes closed. He brought his hand to his face as he felt his cheeks wet. He was crying, in a matter of a few seconds he was crying.

Paul closed his eyes at the same time Serena told her father to close his eyes. He wanted to hear what she was hearing. He didn't know if he could or not. He got frustrated until he felt tears running down his face as well. He brought his hand to his face and touched his cheek.

"Why am I crying?" Paul said aloud to no one in particular, knowing he was in a memory. That was until he heard a little voice. He turned to see a little girl in a white dress. She looked just like Serena with her straight yet curly hair. He looked back to see Serena still with her father, laughing as they were running around in the water getting wet.