Chapter Thirty Four

A/N: Hello Everyone!! I just want to say thank you so much for being patient but I am finally back!! My indecisive decisions about this story have finally been made and I will finally be continuing this book. I will be posting every Sunday per my usual posting schedule but for right now here is an updated chapter!

Serena stumbled forward, her feet shuffling against the leaves. She lost her balance and started to fall but Paul caught her before they could both land on the floor. Embry came from behind Paul and began to pull Lena off of Serena but Serena was quick to react and pulled away from both of them but Paul had a grip on her arm so she couldn't fall backwards as she pulled away. In truth she was scared of letting her go, Serena knew though, she knew they would keep her safe too.

"It's okay." Embry told her as he held his hands up in surrender. "I got her."

"We have her." Paul told her as he put his free hand on her cheek, Serena then nodded into his hand. Embry began to take Lena from her again and as soon as he took her from Serena, Paul picked up her up bridal style as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

They made their way back to Emily's where they both laid Serena and Lena together. The scream and running through the woods exhausted both sisters but Serena was the first to wake out of the two. She gasped as she held her throat in pain, she looked around not being in her own room, her eyes instantly landed on Lena as she moved a piece of her hair out of her face. She sighed heavily knowing what was to come as soon as she headed downstairs with the rest of the wolves. Serena got out of bed and opened the door which was heard by the wolves no doubt, as soon as her foot touched the last step all eyes were on her. She was starting to feel uncomfortable until Paul came into her view and made her focus on something else, on him.

"How long?" She questioned him as she continued to focus on him.

"A day and a half." He answered her.

She sighed heavily as she looked back up the stairs she descended from. "I was out for a week after my first scream." She spoke aloud.

"You also lost a significant amount of blood." Sam added.

"And there was that." She muttered out as she moved around Paul to head to the dining table where Paul ended up pulling out a chair for her where everyone was going over their drawings.

"She never—." Sam began as he was shaking his head in disappointment only to be interrupted by Serena.

"It's not your fault Sam. I didn't know either. It wasn't until Paul mentioned that it was her idea to take me to the beach to cool off."  She told him before she continued. "To be honest there was a fifty-fifty chance of her being like me. Harbingers of death aren't born with siblings. It was said that they were to bring death when they were thought of as omens of death so the villagers had them hunted down and killed. Their entire family,  hunted and killed to make sure they didn't have more children with the same omen, they just couldn't risk it." She continued as she looked away from them.

"But then how did Mia have the two of you?" Embry questioned her as she looked back at him.

"My mom used to tell me a story about how the wolf fell in love with the wailing woman." Serena started as she looked at Paul who was already focused on her. "The woman had a vision of a death, some days it would be of a severely injured wolf and other days a man but the location never changed. She would wander the forrest for days and even months until she found him laying on the cold forrest floor, covered in blood, barely holding onto life. He was protecting the village against the cold ones, that's how he got hurt, he led them away, chased them out. That's when he saw a woman running towards him unafraid of what she saw, a giant injured wolf turn into a man. He was trying to warn her of the cold ones still being near but she refused to leave his side so she screamed as loud as she could to stop the cold ones from coming near them. The woman helped him back on his feet, carried him back to her hut where she would nurse him back to health." She sighed to herself before continuing.