33

I sat at the island quietly while Steve made me soup. Wanda was in the living room.

I watched as he quietly worked, humming to the music on the record player.

The past four days had been relaxing. It was just us healing together.

Steve put the cover on the pot and turned to look at me.

"Come dance with me." He said softly. I smiled and got up.

He took my hand and spun me around before pulling me in. I giggled and held his hand and shoulder as his free hand held my waist.

He smiled and pulled me into a soft kiss as we danced. He was so gentle.

"Guys I'm still here." Wanda yelled, her accent thick.

I pulled away from Steve and laughed. He let out a small chuckle.

"I'm sorry." I said.

She hummed in agreement. Steve kissed my cheek.

I smiled and rested my head on his chest. He was so sweet. I knew he loved to dance. It was the one thing he learned in the forties that he can still use now.

The song came to and end and he pulled me into a hug. I rested my chin on his chest and smiled at him. He kissed me one more time before letting me go, knowing that Wanda was already uncomfortable, and he wasn't one for physical touch in public, as always.

Steve kissed my head one more time. I loved him so much.

————

Steve laid with me in bed. It was the middle of the night. His arm was wrapped around me from behind. He was asleep.

I carefully moved to face him. I wrapped my arms around him and laid back. His head was on my chest.

I felt him stir and wrap his arms around me more.

"Why are you up?"

"Shhh." I whispered. He sighed and sat up.

"No." I whispered. He looked at me.

"Go to sleep:" he yawned.

"I know just come back here." I whispered. He chuckled and laid back down.

"You doing okay?" Steve asked. I nodded softly.

He kissed my head and sighed softly.

"Are you even tired?" He asked as he laid against the headboard.

"No." I whispered.

I set my head down on his chest and smiled.

He turned on the tv for me and laid back.

"I'm still tired." He said.

"You can sleep." I said. He laid back more.

"Okay."

I sat up and kissed his soft cheek. He was so soft at night. His features were gentle.

He smiled, his eyes closed.

He kind of reminded me of the pictures of him in the forties at night. He still kind of had a baby face then, even with the serum. I think the ice tightened his face or something fucking weird like that.

I brushed his hair out of his face.

"You're making it hard to sleep." He whispered.

"Shhh." I whispered. I kissed his soft lips before laying down again.

"Goodnight." I said as I snuggled into him.

"Goodnight."

But I knew that I wouldn't sleep. I would get nightmares. So I stayed up and watched tv while Steve slept soundly.

Just like every single night before this.