55

Steve sat with Sam and Bucky in the dining room, talking over everything while I braided Caroline's hair.

She sat and watched cartoons while I worked.

"Mom." She whispered.

"What's up peanut?"

"Daddy and uncles seem like they're talking seriously."

"I can hear you care bear." Steve said. She giggled.

I looked over at Steve. He just chuckled and shook his head.

I smiled before yawning. The night before had been spent with Steve and I up talking, and then having shower sex. And then having sex in the bathroom. A lot of healing I think, even relationship wise. We needed to spend more time together.

I couldn't remember the last time we went on a date. But number one, we lived in the middle of nowhere. And two, who was gonna babysit our six year old super soldier child?

So the middle of the night when Caroline was sleeping was our time. There's not enough hours in the day.

Steve cleared his throat as he continued talking.

————

Sam hugged Steve. He had taken the job as captain America.

"I don't want your shield though. I can make a new one or something for myself. But that's yours. Save it for your daughter one day."

Steve sighed and nodded. I pulled Sam into a hug.

"Thank you." I whispered.

He nodded and pulled away. "Gotta get to Sarah. Have a good thanksgiving next week." He said. Steve rubbed my back.

"Bye Sam. Say hi to your family." I said.

He smiled before leaving. Bucky was in the other room with Caroline and Dillon.

Caroline laughed in his lap as he tickled her. I smiled and looked up at Steve.

"Tired?" He asked. I nodded. He rubbed my back and kissed my temple.

"I won't keep you up much anymore. I'm sorry."

I smiled and moved to hug his side as I watched Bucky play in the back with our girl and the dog.

"It doesn't bother me when I know that you need it."

"Well I don't wanna be a burden."

"No. God Steve no. We haven't gotten to catch up this past year. All we've been is busy. We need to catch up. My marriage means more to me than my sleep."

"I need to write that down that you put something over your sleep." He said as he ran into the kitchen. He wrote it down on a piece of paper.

November 20, 2024.
Aria Faye Rogers just put something before her sleep. That something even was her own husband. Mark the calendars.
-s

He put it right on the fridge and smiled at me. I sighed and smiled.

"Let me know when we hit the one year anniversary."

"Oh I will." He said and smiled.

I turned to look at Caroline as she fake fought with Bucky. He acted like she was the strongest girl in the world.

Well for her age I mean...

I looked at Bucky as he smiled at us. This is what we all wanted. Family.

I hoped that Bucky found someone. I know he wanted kids.

But for now, everyone was happy. That's all I wanted.

———

Steve sat on the couch with me, his arm behind me. Bucky sat with us.

"So Buck. Anyone?" I asked. He smiled and gave me a look.

Steve sat up. "Really?"

"I've been talking..dating...I've been hanging out with someone." He said as he sipped on his beer.

I smiled. "You got a picture?"

He nodded and showed me. I smiled softly. It was a folded picture of her in his wallet.

She had light brown hair. She looked effortless. Perfect.

I smiled and gave the picture back.

"You deserve this buck." Steve said. Bucky smiled and nodded.

"I'm just happy to stop running for a bit. Almost eighty years is a lot." He said.

Steve chuckled. "Trust me, it's only gonna get better from here. I promise."

Yes it does.