41

I woke up one morning to Steve curled up in my body.

Baby.

I kissed his head lightly and stretched. I could feel him waking up.

He groaned. The sun was shining on his bare back. I buried my face into his neck as he woke up.

He smelled good.

I had been married for a full two months. And we were both more than happy with it.

I sighed, knowing I would have to get up soon.

"Take the day off." Steve whispered.

"I can't. I've gotta get rent paid and we have to-"

Steve hugged me tighter. "I think you're sick." He whispered.

"Steve."

"Aria. You need a day off."

I sighed and closed my eyes.

"I'm fine."

Steve reached over and grabbed my phone. He opened it and pulled up my bosses number.

"Hi. Is this Miss Kolman?...hi this is Lana's husband Aaron. I just wanted to call to let you know that Lana woke up with the stomach flu. She's sleeping right now and I'm gonna take her in to make sure she gets better...yeah. Alright I'll call her in tomorrow too if she's not feeling any better...will do. Bye."

Steve set my phone down. I giggled and snuggled into him.

"I love you." I said.

"I guess you have to stay in bed all day now ms stomach bug." He said.

I giggled. "Guess you have to keep me company husband."

"Oh do I?" He asked. I nodded and kissed his neck. He smiled softly.

All was perfect, until sam burst through the door.

"We're naked." I joked.

"No- no jokes. We- we gotta go." Sam said. I sat up.

Steve sat up with me.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Police have been searching for you again ar. Apparently your boss realized you were faking your identity."

"Oh fuck." I whispered as I got up.

"This can't be happening." Steve whispered.

I grabbed my bag. "We've gotta run. I'll take the car but we gotta go."

————

And just like that. Within a flash our lives had started over again.

I had driven us all the way to Michigan. I don't know why, it just felt safe.

A two day trip had been long. I lived off of energy drinks until I got to my destination. Steve and Sam slept.

I knew of a little cabin. Once owned by my parents, this place was deserted for a fact.

Because I owned it.

This was gonna be our safe haven. A little town was twenty miles out. It was gonna be okay.

I stopped in town for groceries. Steve and Sam couldn't really help. I kept a very low profile.

Once I knew we were set for two weeks I drove to the cabin. It was in the middle of the woods.

I turned into the little driveway. It was on a small lake.

Once we were here I stopped the car and took out the keys.