35

I sat in the kitchen while the 'avengers' talked. Because apparently I'm not one.

They were arguing. I didn't care.

Steve just continued reading.

I felt sorta invisible. I kinda liked it.

Tony came into the kitchen and poured himself some coffee. He didn't even interact.

Maybe I was invisible.

"I'm just in pain cap. I haven't made up my mind on anything."

"117 countries Sam. You're just gonna blow that off?" Rhodey said.

"Why are there coffee grounds in the disposal? Aria?"

"I'm drinking tea." I said softly. I didn't look up at him.

"There's no decision making. We need to sign these." Tony said.

"We're gonna lose our right to choose. This is our freedom Tony." Steve said back.

"We need to be put in check before they start really laying the hand down."

"Are they gonna take me away?" Wanda said.

Steve's phone buzzed. I watched as he read what I assumed was a text.

"I have to go." Steve said. He walked rather quickly out. Everyone watched him leave before arguing again.

I took the chance and snuck out, following him.

I found him on the stairwell. He had his hand covering his face.

"Steve?" I asked from the stairs. He looked up at me. He had tears in his eyes.

"She passed in her sleep." He said.

"Oh..Steve I'm so sorry." I whispered. I walked down a few more stairs. I held him close.

"Her funeral is in two days in London. Can you join me?" He asked.

"Of course." I said.

He sighed and pulled away. I wiped his tears.

"It's alright. She passed peacefully." I whispered. He nodded.

He rested his head on my shoulder. "I'm sorry for what happened earlier. And just a few minutes ago. You are an avenger and I don't know why anyone is saying you aren't."

"Because I'm just normal Steve. I don't have anything that makes me a hero."

"Yes you do. You're strong and you're skilled and you have talent and technique and you have strategy like none other. That's what you have. Now, is there a way that we can escape back to our room  without going through the living room?"

I shook my head. He sighed and wiped any tears away.

He kissed me gently, holding my cheek.

"I love you." He whispered on my lips. "and I'm sorry."

I kissed him one more time.

I pulled away and smiled at him. "It's alright. I love you too."

————

I cleaned up the kitchen silently. The compound already seemed split. Nat and Steve sat at the table while Tony watched tv in the room next to it.

"Aria the kitchen is clean." Steve said. I was cleaning the coffee grounds out of the sink. I saw Tony's head move from the other room out of the corner of my eye.

"You haven't done much for the avengers at all. Unless it's because of the abortion..."

I just quietly continued.

"Ar." Steve said again.

I looked over at him as I washed my hands.

Nat was watching me with a sad look on her face. I just dried my hands and rested back.

I was going to stay grounded. My mood swings have been all over still. I still don't sleep, even after eight months.

I was fine.

"I think I'm gonna go to bed." I said. I kissed Steve's head before walking out.

"Wait! Aria!" I heard. It was Tony. That's the last person I wanna talk to when I'm about to have a panic attack.

I heard footsteps.

"Hey wait. Aria listen."

"Tony please I just wanna go to bed." I said.

"No. Something is wrong."

"Of course something is fucking wrong! You left me with nothing! Ross brings up my abortion and how I'm not an avenger and I don't do anything. You just let it happen. I feel invisible here. I feel worthless. My time as a child gets brought up. My dads actions. You just sit there silently!"

Tony didn't say anything. I sighed snd went into my room, slamming the door.

I will not cry.

I won't do it.

I sat on the bed until Steve came in ten minutes later.

"Pack your bags. We're gonna get a hotel in London." Steve said. He grabbed his duffel bag.

I sighed softly. I'm not going to cry.