39

A month into my job. It wasn't bad. It was a small insurance company. I worked alone in a cubicle. It made good money.

Nine to five jobs weren't too bad either. I really liked routine.

I came home one night. Steve was making dinner.

I came over and hugged his side.

"Hi love." He said. I smiled and turned my head up to kiss him softly.

"Guys I'm here in this house." Sam said. I pulled away from Steve and chuckled.

"Sorry Sam." I said softly.

Steve just laughed.

A month and a half into this new life. New chapter. I kinda liked it. The boys kept the house clean while I went to work.

"I'm gonna go change." I said.

Steve nodded. I went down the hallway and into our room. It was small. I didn't care though.

Right now we were in Vermont. It was quiet enough. Who would think to find us in Vermont?

I put on some leggings and Steve's long sleeve. It was cold here. Christmas was coming.

I threw some fuzzy socks on, and put half my hair into a little bun.

I walked back out into the kitchen. Sam and Steve were talking.

Steve had actually gotten good at cooking. I was proud of him. A lot of spare time got him trying new things.

I wanted to decorate for Christmas, but money was tight. I applied to be a bartender on the weekends now too. I needed whatever I could get.

Friday nights were for Steve and I though. It was the one night we had together.

And tonight was that night.

I saw that Steve had made cookies too. God he was my favorite.

"You look tired." He whispered as he kissed my temple.

I nodded softly. "Just a tad."

"We can just watch a movie tonight and fall asleep."

I nodded. I hugged his side. He was warm.

"Alright sunshine. Let's eat."

————

Steve sat braiding my hair while we watched tv. He was trying to learn, and getting really good at it.

I wished I still had long hair so he didn't have just a little bit to work with. I missed my long hair everyday.

He would braid little pieces then brush them out. Once he was done he pulled me into him. I rested my head on his shoulder as my back laid on his chest.

I moved to kiss his cheek. "I love you." I whispered.

He smiled softly. "I love you too."

We knew that now was the time to marry if we wanted. I was waiting on him to pop the question.

"Aria..."

"Mhm?"

"I bought a ring."

"What?"

He sat up and went to his dresser. I sat on the bed.

It was like he could read my mind.

I got up and went over to him. He smiled and got down on one knee.

"Steve..."

"I know. I felt like you wouldn't have wanted anyone around. It's just us." He said as he opened the box.

Almost two years together. And now he was proposing to me in the bedroom of our apartment.

I smiled as he looked up at me.

"Aria Faye Thomas. Will you marry me?"

I nodded and smiled, holding out my hand. He slipped the small ring on my finger. It was just a simple, old fashioned diamond ring. I couldn't be happier.

He got up. I kissed him softly.

"I'll get us married secretly." Steve whispered on my lips.

"Jesus I love you." I said. He chuckled.

He kissed me again. He was holding my hands still.

I didn't care when or how him and I got married. I just knew he was my soulmate. No matter how much we fought, hated each other, loved each other, we were soulmates. And I was damn lucky.