42

Waking up in Steve's arms was warm, even when everything else was cold.

I quietly got out of Steve's arms and out of the room.

"Aria?" Steve groaned. I turned around and went back into the room.

"I was just going to get more wood." I said.

He shook his head and signaled for me to come back. I sighed and did. It was kinda hard to get into bed when I didn't have a side. whatever.

I got into bed and laid back. He snuggled me in.

"You're warm." He whispered.

"Mmm."

"Ari. Just sleep love. You need it."

I sighed and rested my head on his chest more.

He was warm. And comforting. I loved him. I needed his touch.

I rested my body fully into him. No room between us in the cold rom.

I had actually slept surprisingly well. Steve helped by being here.

"You wanna come with and visit my mothers grave today?" I whispered.

"Of course." He said.

I snuggled into him and pulled the blankets up more.

He planted kisses on my head. "I love you." He whispered.

I nuzzled my nose into him. "I love you too."

————

A few hours later and I was up again. Steve was in bed, reading. The fire was going again. My head was on his lower rib.

I stretched and moved my head to his lap to look up at him. He was smiling while reading.

"Oh you can't even hide that smile." I said. He looked down at me and rolled his eyes.

"Morning." He said.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"Nine fifty. You slept in love."

"Yesssssss." I cheered.

He just smiled and went back to his book. I chuckled and sat up.

I rubbed my eyes as I stretched my back. This mattress was old.

"I'm gonna- go make some coffee." I said between yawns.

"I'll come with." He said.

I smiled and held out my hand as he got up. He came over and took it as we walked out.

Steve was obviously horny this morning. He never admitted to be, but I could tell.

He was usually more caring. Not that he isn't always, but both in private and out.

I went to the kitchen and grabbed the coffee grounds that I bought the day before.

Steve came behind me and hugged me. I smiled and kissed his arm as he wrapped it around my chest.

"Steve...you've gotta use self control." I whispered. These walls were so thin.

"I know." He whispered. "I can just enjoy you like this."

I smiled and leaned into him. He kissed my head.

"I bought some flowers for my mom yesterday. I wanna grab them before going to my moms grave." I said.

"Okay." He said as he moved my hair a bit to kiss under my ear.

"God you're a flirt."

"Mhm."

————

I had grabbed my mom the flowers. Steve and I walked down the trail, and eventually got to my moms grave.

There wasn't a stone. It was written on a tree.

Beverly Ann Thomas
1959-2001
Mother. Wife. Friend.
Forever missed.

I had written that myself.

I got to the site and set the flowers down. The first thing I did was sit on the ground.

Steve stood in the background. I was okay with it.

"Hi mom." I said softly. This was stupid. But I just missed her.

"I know it's been some years. A lot has happened. I'm uhh. I'm currently living at the house again. Umm I got married. He's really nice. You would like him. I worked for the fbi. Dads gone. I really didn't care that I killed him. That's another story though. But I'm doing good now. Well sorta. Steve and I are on the run. Steve's my husband. The house brings back a lot. I'm uhh...I don't know. I just miss you. Like I wish you could've seen me get married or become an avenger, which is another story too. That's all I thought about when I buried you here. Working alone. I just wanted you too see that I made it."

I could hear Steve's breath hitch at the end.

I had buried my moms body here by myself.

I looked back at Steve. He timidly walked over and sat down next to me. He was wearing a corduroy jacket and jeans. He looked good.

I rested my head on his shoulder. He moved his hand to my lap and held my thigh.

"She would've liked you." I whispered.

"Good. If she's anything like you I would've liked her too." He said. He kissed my forehead.

I smiled and leaned into him more.

————

Steve set more logs on the fire before getting back into bed. I smiled as he turned to kiss me.

"Have you ever wanted to be a mom?" Steve asked.

"Only every moment of everyday since I was fourteen." I said. Steve chuckled.

"What about you. You ever wanted to be a dad?"

"Naked truth right now?" He asked as he laid on his back.

I nodded. He smiled at me.

"I hadn't even thought of being a dad until I met you. I knew if I was to ever have kids, it would be with you."

My heart melted.

I moved his hair out of his face. It was getting long.

"If Tony doesn't call in six months can we please at least try with a child?" I whispered.

He gave me a look.

"Ati it could kill you."

"Please?"

He looked away.

I sighed and kissed his forehead. "It won't kill me. If I was gonna die it would've happened long ago."

He wrapped his arms around me and rested his head on my chest.

"Okay."

I hugged him tighter. He just laughed.

"Thank you." I whispered. He chuckled softly.

"Anything for my best girl."