50

"What do you mean we can get everyone back?" I asked Steve.

Steve sighed on the phone. "Pepper said she would watch the girls. But I need you at the complex."

"Steve-"

"Aria. This has to happen."

I sighed. Caroline was watching cartoons in the other room.

"Give me two hours."

"Alright. I love you"

"Love you too."

"Mommy is that daddy on the phone?"

"Yeah babe. He just told me to let you know that auntie pepper wants you over."

"Okay!" She said.

My baby was five. She was so beautiful.

I helped her get some clothes together. Steve had been gone for two weeks now.

"When is daddy coming back?"

"Soon. He's working at the complex. I'm gonna go help him." I said as I grabbed her stuffy.

She smiled softly. "Make sure he comes back soon." She said.

"I promise." I said. I kissed her head.

————

I rolled up to the complex. Caroline was at peppers. She was nervous too. Tony had got here a few hours before me.

I parked the car and got out. Scott was sitting, eating tacos.

"Hey Scott." I said.

"Oh hi Aria!" He said. I smiled before going inside.

I walked into the complex. As I did, I saw Steve with Nat. They were working things out on the computer.

Steve's hair was longer again. His beard was very trimmed, just facial hair.

He had a long sleeve shirt on, as well as some jeans.

He saw me and instantly smiled. He walked up to me and pulled me into a hug.

"Hi. Is Carrie good?" He asked.

"Yeah. She just thinks I'm helping you finish up here."

He pulled away and sighed. I smiled at him sadly. He looked tired.

"You okay?"

He nodded and kissed my cheek.

Something happened. He hadn't told me everything.

"I'll tell you tonight."

I nodded and immediately went to work on whatever anyone needed.

————

Steve laid with me on the couch. Everyone was getting sleep and there weren't any rooms left. So Steve was kind enough to make us take the couch.

I was texting pepper while Steve spooned me.

Caroline was good. Pepper had explained that she was having fun with her cousin and knew that mommy and daddy were working.

I eventually set my phone down and sighed. "So...how much trouble are we getting into?" I whispered.

Steve tensed and held me closer.

"A lot. Aria you have to stay alive for Caroline because I don't know if-"

"Hey. We're both gonna live. Got it?" I said.

He nodded on my back. He was obviously worn out and I don't think this couch was helping.

Couches got to him a lot. They were usually softer than a bed. He would feel like he was on a marshmallow. He felt unsafe.

"Do you wanna sleep on the floor?" I whispered.

"Yeah." He said.

I got up and grabbed the blankets and pillows. I laid everything out and got on the floor with him.

It wasn't a burden to me. As long as I was laying with him I was okay. 

I curled up into his arms. He held me close.

He liked protecting me. I was just always cold. Win win.

"Steve I'm nervous." I whispered.

"I know. Me too."

I felt his left hand graze my back, his ring cold on the thin long sleeve that I was wearing.

"I will make sure that you are going to stay alive and well no matter what. I promised to protect you. I promised to keep you through weak and strong. I promised that when I married you. I'm going to keep that promise no matter the circumstances."

I nodded. "I love you." I whispered.

"I love you too."

Steve and I had no idea what we were getting into.