35: Sweet lies

Lunch

"Yes, I know, but how can you think of something so-" "It isn't-" "It is

"Yes, I know, but how can you think of something so-" "It isn't-" "It is." Nicolo sides with Sasha. Sasha smiles, kissing her boyfriend's cheek with her stained mouth. "See!" Connie rolled his eyes, picking with the food on his plate. "Whatever. It's only because he's your boyfriend." Sasha pouted, Annie scoffing from across the table; low enough for them not to hear. "Look at them, all lovey-dovey." Bertolt would have listened to the girl, would have if he wasn't so obsessed with the blonde at the vending machine picking out snacks, for him... and Annie.

"Earth to Bertolt," Annie says, waving a hand in front of his face. Bertolt quickly snaps out of his mind, head turning to the blonde. "You were doing it again." "Was not." "Was too, dumbass." Bertolt's cheeks heat, roses blossoming on them. "Okay, but at least I didn't trip over my earbuds, watching Hitch." Annie gasps, punching Bertolt on the arm. "Touche, but don't say it too loud." He nods, digging into his lunch.

Further down the table, another blonde, one with a bowl cut and blue eyes, was nibbling on his finger, knees bouncing. He went through his mind on how to help his friend, and how he never saw it coming. She had one panic attack, then another, and then she was fine. How was she fine if he heard sobbing through the night? Didn't Y/n always say this was normal for her? Even if it's not supposed to be normal. But she said it was school, right? "Hey, you okay Armin?" Jean asked, Marco, focusing on the two. "Y-yeah, just thinking about school..." "Right, don't you have to make up that test?"

Armin nodded, remembering how Hanji gave them detention. "I can help you study if you need." Marco swallowed his bite of pasta, butting into the conversation. "I can help too." Jean glanced at the brunette, smiling awkwardly. "Yeah... but it may get crowded then." Marco looked back at his food, muttering, "Oh, um, yeah, you're right..." Feeling the cordial conversation grow tense, Armin interrupted. "I don't need help, thank you though..." Jean glanced at the blonde with a sad quirk to his lips. "Got it..."

Armin stood up, grabbing his backpack. "I need to go check on Y/n... thanks for keeping me company!" The two hum a goodbye, watching Armin leave. "Hey, Marco, why did you try to join Armin and I?" Coughing on some of his pasta, he clears his throat, not finding Jean's gaze. "Um... I kind of struggle with the topic too, so I thought it'd be nice for a study group!" Jean nods, picking at his food. "Yeah, but next time just find someone else." Marco didn't say anything after that.

Armin sighed, tapping at his phone.

Me

You there?

Why aren't you at lunch?

Hello?

Y/n?

I'm sorry...

Can we talk|

Can we|

Armin shut his phone off, coming closer to Hanji's classroom. Standing in front of the wooden door, he counted to three before knocking, something he and Y/n always did so they could bang on it.

Knocking softly, Armin heard a confirmation that he could enter. "Hey, I don't have mommy issues," Hanji said, turning their attention to Armin who was shutting the door behind him. "Oh, hey Armin. I was wondering when you were coming!" His brows furrow, blue eyes scanning the room. In the back was his best friend, but that didn't catch his attention as much as the two sitting next to each other. His eyes widened, freezing on them. Mikasa and Eren were seated next to each other, both near the window, and they weren't a centimeter apart. Their shoulders were brushing, hands playing with the other's and they laughed from each other. They laughed together.

Armin's eyes caught Eren's. He hadn't apologized, and it was still a fresh wound. A wound that plagued his heart with pain and hatred. Why would Eren do that, if he knew he, himself, was gay? Armin gulped, noticing Y/n's trying to call him over. "Okay, since you all are here, we can get started!" Hanji turns around and grabs the stack of white papers, spinning around to find the four's eyes filled with horror. "A five-page test! I upgraded it since my last classes who took it seemed to fly by with the subject." They smiled, slamming the stack on Eren and Mikasa's desk with a hand in the center. "Space between you two," they direct, eyes shifting to the blonde beside the h/c-haired girl. Blush was evident on Armin's cheeks, he sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck, a stranger's distance between the two.

"So, how was the walk to school?" Y/n chuckled. "Good, thanks for keeping my mom company..." He nods, tapping his fingers on the table. "No problem, I just don't want you to think I'm replacing you or-" "No, it's okay. I think my mom would want you as a child," Y/n smiles out, placing her hand on Armin's shoulder with a squeeze. "I know I would." Armin's face blanks, his mouth gaping to speak, "But-" "Hey cuties, space between you two, please and thank you!" Both eyes follow Hanji's abrupt presence. The two nod, Y/n shifting away from Armin. Hanji flips through the pages and splits the stack evenly before skipping to the front of the class. "Alright, fifteen minutes of lunch have passed, you have the remainder to work!" They grab their phone, typing quickly before announcing, "Time starts now!" Slamming their phone down on their desk.

The next tens of minutes pass in silence, Y/n being the first done, Mikasa following second. Y/n inhales, trying to get Hanji's approval to leave immediately. "Huh, you put your name on it..." Hanji drags out, watching Mikasa stand and brush her skirt off. "Anddd, uh, your penmanship is flawless." Y/n eyebrow twitches in irritation. "Can I leave?" Y/n said, right when Mikasa brushed behind her. Her voice was too loud, that's what everyone always said, and in this current moment, it was the most factual statement ever. "Mikasa! Ahem, you can leave with Mikasa. You never know what's lurking in the hallways of school." Y/n inhales and exhales, secretly cussing them out before nodding. "Thank you for looking out for me, teach... Always appreciated!" Hanji nods with a hum on their lips, accepting Mikasa's paper.

Y/n opens the door, patting it as she walks through so Mikasa can come. I don't raise rude children, that's what Lunes always said, and it stuck to Y/n like wet cement. "Thanks," Mikasa whispered in gratitude. Y/n nodded, replying, "No problem."

The door shut and echoed in the hallway. The two started walking, and once they were out of Hanji's sight, Y/n made the decision to split off, but Mikasa had other plans. "I'll go-" "Hey, so-" The two freeze, a puff of their cheeks as giggles escape each. "You go first, Mika." When was the last time she used her nickname? And why did it feel like she waited a thousand years to hear those syllables? Almost too good to be true.

"Um, I wanted to talk about everything... If you're comfortable with that, of course." Y/n hums, glancing around the hallway. With a shaky breath, Y/n responds, "U-um, if you want."

Y/n wasn't good with confrontation. Everyone knew this about her, yet it never rose a problem when others needed her help. She was good at confronting others on their problems in a mess that wasn't hers, except she couldn't return the same energy to herself. She could confront others, but her sweet sugar voice gave her a cavity. A curse "Are you okay with it, though?" She should have said yes. Y/n should have said yes and heard Mikasa's love-sick words. Yet she took Mikasa's kind nature and twisted it for her benefit. "Actually, I was going to go on a lunch date with Armin, and I don't think I have time right now, sorry." A lie.

Mikasa's concerned features flattened out. She was being considerate, nevertheless, if she could take it back, she would in a millisecond. "Oh-" "Goodbye, Mikasa." If only she knew, that would be one of the last times words were spared between the two. At least for now.

ᓚᘏᗢ

School has been kicking my ass 🤭

WC: 1.3k+