53: Seats

Front of the School

It was officially Thursday

It was officially Thursday. Nothing much had changed besides getting back into the amount of work you had, nevertheless, you liked it- the stress of things. You had yet to talk to Mikasa much. When you tried to sit by her, she'd moved just the largest bit away from you, and anytime you started a conversation it'd end up with her excusing herself quickly and vaguely. "Alright everyone, please tell me you've shoved everything outside already." The busses were lined up, bags already placed in the back. "Yes, Historia." "Can we play music on the-" "Unless it's wheels on the bus, then no." "What about-" "Ymir, I said no." A chuckle echoes on the packed sidewalk. "Okay, if everyone has done that, and no one has anything keeping them behind, we are good to go!" Hange steps aside from the bus door, motioning for everyone to enter. "Two hours and some minutes, meaning you should pick your seat well! No switching!!" Everyone grumbles at their words, people looping their arms and getting on the bus. The first to go were Hitch and Annie, then Bertolt and Reiner and other friends went after that. As the line got shorter it became more obvious that you and Mikasa would be paired.

Your heart was doing tiny cartwheels springing into larger ones immediately. The girl who barely talked to you for the five days you'd been back, would finally talk to you. You'd be able to ask her, albeit on a bus, to be your girlfriend. Maybe that's why you couldn't hold back your hurt expression when looping arms with Ymir. Historia gapes at the ravenette, tilting her head when they walk onto the bus.

"Alright, that just leaves Y/n and Historia. Let's go, ladies." You struggle to walk a bit, but Historia fixes that instantly, shoving you onto the bus so she can talk to the blunt woman. Everyone seems too interested in getting settled and stretching to care about the drama happening in the back. "What the fuck, Mikasa?" Historia utters, forcing you to the adjacent seat in the back. "Hisu calm do-" "No. Now, Mikasa shove your ass over here, I want to cuddle with Ymir!" Mikasa shrugs. "Maybe space is good for the two of you." Historia makes a disgusted face before speaking, "Listen, emo-bitch, move over here before-" "Alright, everyone, make sure you have earbuds and portable chargers, or a fully charged phone, so you don't get bored- And before you say it, Armin, yes you can read a book with your reading light if we get into a tunnel..." Some snicker at Hange's words before they continue, "But besides that, we have some snacks we'll pass out halfway through. Any last comments, questions, or concerns?"

Hange pauses for a while, then spins around, signaling the driver to drive. "Also, no changing seats or you're being left on the highway!" Everyone knew they were joking, though there was the rumor that if you did change seats you'd have to go on Levi's bus. Everyone was cemented to their seat at that.

Historia jolted back into her seat from a bump, her glare present. "Whatever, when we get to the rest stop I'll just sit there, ugh." You let Historia lean onto your shoulder, ignoring the need for it to be Mikasa. You two somehow drift off less than three seconds onto the bus.

"So, are you going to tell me what's really going on?" Mikasa inhales, glancing at you and Historia before exhaling. "I think I don't like Y/n anymore..." Ymir's lips quirk and she silences a laugh. "Yeah, okay-" "I'm serious!" Mikasa tries to keep her voice down as she combats the brunette. "I've been noticing things that happened when I was a kid and she-" "Was also a kid, Mikasa..." Ymir lifts a brow, challenging the ravenette. "Right, but-" Ymir immediately interrupts "Where did you two learn it from?" "Huh?" Ymir scoffs at the confusion Mikasa has. "Every child gets their personality from childhood. The family you grow up with, the shows and media you've been exposed to- I mean, why do you think you two acted like that? Your parents just didn't treat you like children." Mikasa inhales at her words. "Okay, but how do you know-" "You both are eighteen, meaning you're both not children anymore. Gods, grow up Mikasa, and stop living in the past... It's not as glamorous as you remember. Just talk to Y/n if you really want to know how you're feeling- you know, about the girl you've never not had a crush on?"

Once Ymir stops talking, Mikasa shrinks into her seat. "What?" "How do I talk to her?" "Is that what you're worried about? The girl who goes up to mascots and asks them if they need food or water or a break, you're worried to talk to." Mikasa's face scrunches up. "No, I just don't want to mess it up." Ymir chuckles. "Mess it up?" "Like fumble with my words or-" "I know what mess it up means... but have you taken a second to realize what you've done since she's been back." Mikasa takes a second to understand what Ymir means, but she can't see the problem. "What-" "Ignoring her, not acknowledging her at lunch, swapping seats with Hisu, being blatantly rude to her, and acting like you hate her presence... I think that about sums it up," Ymir lists, using her fingers as tallies. She glances over at the ravenette. "Notice how Y/n has never once been discouraged... I think you at least know how she feels." Ymir shuts her eyes relaxing into the seat. "So contemplate by yourself for a while while I get sleep."

Mikasa bites her lip, continuing to talk. "But... What if she doesn't like me?" Ymir groans, opening her eyes again. "Mikasa, the girl has been trying to get you alone-" "But she's different! And I tried changing, but- Look at me! Does it look like I've done anything good in the weeks she's been gone? No. The answer will always be no..." Ymir inhales sharply. "I felt the same about Historia. Shew as too good and I wasn't- will never be good enough." Mikasa brings her gaze to the brunette who's looking at the floor. "I warned her so many times that we'd be toxic, and we were for the longest time... If you ask me, I thought she'd go for you- Well I hoped she would so I wouldn't break her heart that much." Ymir rolls her eyes, glancing at Mikasa. "She always came back though. I always thought it was because of her need for unhealthy things, but later I found out that she just- just wanted to be by me." Ymir chuckles, rubbing her eye with a knuckle.

She clears her throat, beginning again, "Anyway, that just shows that you and Y/n should be something. She didn't choose Yelena if that wasn't obvious enough- and you... Are officially a lesbian so everything seems right now. All you have to do is confess." Mikasa nods. "Right..." Ymir rolls her eyes. "Fine, fine, you eager bitch." Mikasa's face scrunches in confusion before she sees Ymir lean to the side, yelling, "Ms. Hange! I need to pee." They hear a grumble, then a reply of- "Fine! Wait twenty minutes there's a rest stop there!"

"Now let me rest for twenty minutes."

ᓚᘏᗢ

wc: 1.2k+