43: Already broken dinner

Flashback

Sunday. Y/n doesn't remember her Sundays as a child up until seven. Five was the year she remembers eating cereal with her father on the floor as cartoons flashed on the laptop screen. "Red just doesn't know what to do." She'd giggle, munching on the crunchy cereal. "What about-" "Don't bring my favorite character into this, Y/n," He pretends to reprimand, sticking his nose high in the air. In the opposite direction, she'd also stick her nose in the air, doing the thing he said not to do. It'd always end up in a fit of giggles from him tickling her.

Those were morning Sundays, then during midday, he'd make his daughter sandwiches that were taller than her, she swears. Though, night Sundays were her least favorite. "Goddamnit, Alex, why can't you get a job!" "You're acting so fucking high and mighty, princess. What, you think raising that child is easy?" Lunes would scoff. "She's your child too, you know?" Alex would roll his eyes. "Oh right, God forbid you take some responsibility for your fragile masculinity." Lunes would set down her wine glass. "You know what, take her. Take her for a day with her stupid mood swings and loud ass voice. She's not something you want." Lunes would stare directly into his eyes. "You're lucky I'm here."

Y/n would be in her bed, staring at the ceiling and counting the ridges on her popcorn ceiling.

"How about we get him these?" Y/n nods eagerly with a wide smile. It was a card with his favorite cartoon character on it. The Sunday routine had changed a bit today because it was Father's Day! Y/n was so excited to prove her parents wrong. She'd show them how she didn't need to cry or yell being around them. "Your total is 20.99." Lunes inhales. She saw how happy her daughter was, so she asked for the juice off of her list.

"Dad! Dad!" Y/n yelled into the house, running around. Lunes chuckled, setting down the bag of food as her child rushed to find him. Lunes thought about how many more days until her next paycheck, wishing for something more. "I guess I can go to the food bank again," Lunes mutters to herself, turning to the fridge with containers in her hand. She opens the door and adds things to the fridge. When it shuts, something falls from it, slowly landing in front of Lunes's feet. She tilts her head, bending to pick it up and put it back on the fridge.

"Y/n?" Lunes's hair is pink and blue like her mother's. She dyed it a few weeks ago, and she's glad her mother gave her something good to remember, the dye brand lasted so long. "So... He can't get his card?" Lunes sniffled, looking at the card in Y/n's tiny hands. "No... Baby, he isn't- he isn't going to come back, okay?" Y/n flipped open the vibrant card color. She had signed it in crayon and her writing was so sloppy. "But...What about his card?"

"Y/n?" Y/n dragged her e/c eyes up to the woman in front of her. "When did you decide this?" Lunes sighed, her brows furrowing in thought. "Two months ago," Lunes answered her daughter's question. "And how long have you been dating?" Y/n shakily inhaled, dragging her hand away from Mikasa. "Four years..." Y/n folds her hand on top of her other, a scoff bubbling on her tongue. "So, you're mature enough to realize she isn't like dad?" Lunes, on the other hand, does scoff. "What the fuck, Y/n?"

"You decide to have an opinion now after all this time?" Lunes's voice raises her hands planted on the table. Y/n raises a brow. "I was a fucking kid." "Don't cuss at me." Lunes stands up glaring down at her daughter. "Oh come on! You can't act like that after I had to take care of you," Y/n says with a huff at the end. Lunes's face scrunches up, each oblivious to everyone's staring. "You didn't take care of-" "I did!" Y/n is next to stand up, water coating her e/c irises."I took care of your depression room after dad left and- and I cooked and cleaned and made sure I never had any complaints!" Y/n's eyes find the glass-covered table. "I was the perfect daughter." Her arms close around her body. "I... I did everything for you..." Lunes's face shines with irritation. "Really? Because it wasn't easy raising a spoiled brat like you." Lunes folds her arms across her chest, lip quivering.

"I worked shift after shift to provide for you, and all you wanted was take out and movies that cost more than the apartment... Not to mention, nothing was enough for you." Lunes peels her fingers down as she lists, "I gave you coloring books and toys and- and everything a child could ever want. And you were still begging me for more!" Y/n spares her mother a tearful glance. "What about you?" Lunes's h/c brows hesitantly scrunch. "Did you ever think about why I asked for those things?" Y/n wipes her face roughly. "I wanted to spend time with you... And I get that you were tired and a single mother with a five-year-old but Gods, I would've given everything for one glance from you." Y/n sniffles. "But you didn't care no matter how- how many times I begged you for eating together at the table, like a normal family with a father!"

Y/n's eyes drop with pain. "I'm sorry that everything I did was childish when I was a child..." Y/n's gaze finds Carla's. "And I'm really sorry that I can't do the entire 'I love you both' thing that Eren did, but I- I hope you get something that I'll never give from him," Y/n says, disoriented and shakily. "I just wasn't meant to be loved or given love." Y/n smiles at her mother fresh tears coating her cheeks. She watches her mother's mouth open and close. Y/n looks around, only to regret it as everyone seems to be staring at the two standing. Overwhelmed, Y/n quickly rushes out, not daring to look at Mikasa because Eren and Armin's horrified expressions are enough.

Lunes slowly sits down as Carla guides her into the chair. Mikasa watches as her girlfriend disappears, her hand hesitantly setting on the table. From a quick glance at Carla, she rushes out.

Someone clears their throat. "Um, I'm sorry, but could you all pay and- and um, leave?"

ᓚᘏᗢ

wc:1.1k+