44: Silent tears

Near the restaurant

Y/n's shoes patted against the cement

Y/n's shoes patted against the cement. She watched as they disappeared behind her, another foot in front. Then she pauses, spins, and walks in that direction before repeating the other way. "Y/n..." She watched as the ravenette stepped in front of her path once more. "Y/n, answer me please." Said girl just pivoted, trying to move around Mikasa. She does so with an unintended brush against her. Mikasa exhales loudly, turning to watch Y/n. "Listen it's really late... We should go, and you can talk to your-" "You go, Mika." This is the first time since Mikasa ran to her that she's stopped her walking. She's facing away from Mikasa her eyes watching her scuffed shoes.

"I'm not leaving you." Y/n lets out a sob, trying to hide it in a scoff. "I don't need you to stay, so please go." Mikasa shook her head even if Y/n couldn't see it. "I'm not leaving my girlfriend." Y/n's lip wobbled. "Why?" Mikasa shrugged, coming closer to the h/c-haired girl. "Because I really like her, and I don't want to lose her." Mikasa stopped behind the girl, watching her hands twist behind her back. "Please say something." Y/n looks up, focusing on the crosswalk ahead. "I... I don't know what to say." Mikasa smiled, whispering, "I don't either."

They stood in that silence before Y/n shuffled, head down again. She faced the ravenette and waited. "Are you okay?" She shook her head, gulping down the wobble in her voice. Mikasa nibbled on her bottom lip, hesitantly opening her arms. "Do you want to..." Her voice stopped, when Y/n walked forward, slowly wrapping her arms around Mikasa's form. Y/n's head rested in the crook of her neck. "I don't know why I'm like this." Mikasa slowly snuck her hands around Y/n's back, rubbing up and down with her warm palms. "I don't there's anything wrong with you." Mikasa inhales, continuing, "Maybe it's your environment." Y/n doesn't move. Mikasa's holding onto her for dear life, grasping to the fact that she's breathing, that there's something left of her. "What if isn't?" Mikasa replies quickly, "It is... you weren't like this as a kid." Y/n's eyes flutter against Mikasa's skin.

"But I was a child." Her voice is soft, giving out every second to regenerate into nothing. Mikasa doesn't know what to say. "I'm so sorry." Mikasa opens her mouth, only for nothing to come out. She wants to desperately plead to Y/n, tell her to stop, but a part of her wants to hear every part of her thoughts, everything Y/n has kept bottled up. "I tried so hard to be good, and okay. I tried to be me, and I tried to figure out why I couldn't fucking talk but nothing worked." Y/n's fingers gripped the red fabric that clung to Mikasa.

"I don't know why I can't be okay with my mom. I want to be able to talk to her and tell her about my day like I'm her child- And I know I am, I know, but she doesn't treat me like hers; like she wants me." Mikasa's shoulder feels wet. "I want to live, I do, I want to grow old and be your wife. I- I just- I can't do anything right now, and it sucks so much 'cause I used to be so good at things." She gasped for air. "I just don't know what to do... I want to be that little girl again. The girl who'd play trucks and watch cartoons all day. I want to be that so fucking bad, but I don't know how." Mikasa slowly stops rubbing Y/n's back, feeling her breathing calm. "You're not like that, Y/n." She felt her smile against her shoulder. "But I am, Mika. I haven't been able to feel anything with anyone and no one cares," she whispers the last part, gradually moving from Mikasa's grip.

She finds interest in Mikasa's black heels. "I hate to admit it, but I think I need help... I need a break, a long break." Her head rises, finding Mikasa's emotion-filled gray eyes. "I- I'm sorry-" "Shh." Mikasa quiets her, cupping her tear-stained cheeks. She finds her worn eyes cute, even in the barely lit street and somber atmosphere. "We'll get through it together." Mikasa watched as more tears build in her lash line, and she wanted to rewind time, to the first time they met, or an hour ago when she didn't help Y/n. "I like you, Mikasa." Mikasa can't say anything because of Y/n. "But I- I can't be in a relationship with you... At least not yet. I'm not ready and I am not going to have another relationship that will fail because I'm not healed." Her smile is so pretty too, Mikasa thinks. Maybe it's because of the street lights, the light wind because it's fall, or the uniform shirt that compliments her form.

Armin came fairly quickly, same with Eren. Armin walked over to Y/n and froze seeing her standing so calmly. His arms immediately encompassed her, tugging her into his form. Her muffled greeting didn't go unnoticed, Eren chuckling slightly. "I'm glad you're okay." She nodded against him. "Me too..." He pulled away with a genuine smile to greet her. "Ahem, not to interrupt this moment, but my mom lent me her car. You both ready to go?" Y/n's mouth opened, then closed with a smile. "I'm ready." Mikasa nodded from behind the two in a loose hug, Eren noticing her form. "Okay!"

The ride home was filled with fatigue. Everyone was tired and drained from the dinner so when light snores passed from the blonde and h/c-haired students in the back, it was expected. "So, I heard you two are dating..." Mikasa inhaled, with a shaky exhale. "Um, no." her voice was wobbly. She had yet to truly cry over getting dumped. Eren glanced at Mikasa, a red light flashing on her rich skin. "Armin and I aren't dating either," Eren said, "But I'll wait." Mikasa immediately gazed at the man beside her. Harmony graced their positions. It was like all the puzzle pieces were found. "I love him, so I'll wait... He would for me too."

ᓚᘏᗢ

Wc: 1k+