41: Dinner

Restaurant • 3rd pov

Mikasa is holding the door open for Y/n, bowing

Mikasa is holding the door open for Y/n, bowing. Y/n rolls her eyes, grabbing Mikasa's forearm with a satisfied smile on her lips. "Don't act like my bitch, Mika." She chuckles. "I'd rather be yours than Eren's." Y/n bites her bottom lip, tugging it back. "Besides..." She turns her face in Mikasa's direction. "We're dating, right?" Y/n's eyes widen. "U-unless you still want to date Armin! Then I'm s-" "No! No! I want to date!" Y/n didn't think her voice was that high, but she was wrong. Inhaling, she waved to everyone as an apology. Mikasa smiled at Y/n. "I want to too." Y/n nods. "Cool, cool... We can talk about the details later!" Mikasa hums, being dragged by Y/n to the table.

There was a glow on the two as they sat next to each other, Y/n letting go of Mikasa's arm to sit and drink her water. The four stared at the two. Mikasa sips from her coffee, a light dust of pink on her cheeks as Y/n sighs in delight from the cold water.

Rolling his eyes, Armin leans towards Y/n, whispering, "That was her?" Y/n froze, inhaling and sheepishly smiling at her mother as an apology before leaning shoulder to shoulder with Armin. "She was that loud?" "She was that loud." Y/n snorts. "Damn, I'm really good." Armin's face drops and his hand travels to her bicep and pinches it until she squeaks out, "Uncle!" Armin giggles as Y/n rubs her arm, leaning a bit away to get a good look at him. "You okay?" Y/n asked, and Armin wondered if he should have asked that first. If, before joking about her self-sabotaging habits, he should have asked if she truly needed the help he rarely offered. "'Minnie?" Armin's eyes widen.

"Y-yeah, how are you?" Y/n's brows scrunch. "You're really asking that?" Armin's face washes with confusion until she furtively motions to Mikasa. Armin drags his gaze away from Y/n, light embarrassment coating his cheeks. "Right, right, I forgot." Y/n giggles, dimples grazing her cheeks. "Okay... I'm guessing boy number one over there is the one who's clouding your big-ass mind?" His lips purse. "I don't have a big-ass mind." Y/n snickers, licking her teeth. "Right, just the forehead-" "Hey!" "Kidding, kidding, sorry," Y/n apologizes, rubbing Armin's back.

"Back to the topic at hand, I'm guessing Rinnie boy has officially apologized?" Y/n sips from her water, placing it back down without a sound. At his lack of response, Y/n glances to her side, finding Armin already staring at her. She leans back pushing on his chest with one of her hands. "Personal space?" Armin inhales. "Is it really that bad?" Y/n leans back over to Armin, hand fidgeting with her skirt as she whispers with concern, "Did Eren say something?" Armin shakes his head aggressively. "No, no... Um, I was just..." Armin's brows furrow, his throat too dry for his own liking. "Armin, what is it?" Her fingers are tapping on the glass.

Too loud. Armin grasps his water cup and sips from it, water trailing down the corner of his lips. He sets the now half-empty glass on the table with a clink. Eren and Lunes are too caught up in conversation, and Mikasa and Carla are too busy discussing the menu to notice Armin and Y/n's conversation.

Armin watches as his friend searches his eyes, trying to find something, but Armin already knows her. She's about to figure it out when he removes his eyes from her. In a tiny voice, Armin says, "I want to break up." That'll suffice for now. Y/n's face scrunches, unconvinced, then a smile slaps across her lips. A light giggle leaves as Y/n rubs his back. "I thought you'd never ask." He finds her eyes. It takes his entire being not to hug her and cry into her arms.

He can't ask his best friend about her well-being, or else she'll become defensive and run away. He wants her to be okay, but for that, he'd have to sacrifice his sanity. She was just too complicated for him. If she'd just stop trying to help others and realize her own problems. Except he'd never say that out loud. That was the hardest part for Y/n and he knew it. She couldn't admit that if she got better and took the time to realize not everyone would like her, she'd be okay. She'd be better than okay, she may even be smart enough to realize that people didn't deserve her.

Armin inhales as Y/n comes closer to his face, noses brushing against each other. "Mika confessed and I did too!" Armin's eyes widen, and he lets the most genuine smile coat his lips, eyes glossing. "I'm so happy for you, Y/n!" She hums with a pat on his shoulder before sitting up straight and scooting closer to the table. She didn't realize it, but Mikasa's hand had been on her thigh for the entirety of their conversation. She finds that hand and it leads to Mikasa nodding along with Carla about finance. "Definitely, invest in that company, but not in big stakes like Marley's stuff...Also, we hate Marley, so it's a win-win." Mikasa chuckles, aimlessly gripping Y/n's thigh.

Y/n almost leans back over to Armin to squeal about Mikasa and their future wedding she's currently planning in her head, yet the server comes back. "Hello, are we ready to order?" Y/n swallows a grumble and takes her right hand off of the cool glass to hold Mikasa's. Mikasa's eyes widen, a light smile gracing her lips when she leans back in her chair, mere inches away from Y/n. "Yes, could we-" Lunes motions between her and Carla. "-get the baked stuffed lobster?" Peick nods. Y/n's brows furrow, diving to the page Carla is on. "They... have that?" Y/n whispers and her mother chuckles in understanding. Y/n glances up at her mother. The two stare at each other for a second before Y/n mouths, "Good?" Lunes nods mouthing, "Of course." A smile graces Y/n until it's her turn to order. "U-um..." She's staring at the menu, unable to look at Pieck, nor ignore the flame from Mikasa's hand on her.

Then it all disappears. "She'll have (favorite restaurant food) with me." Y/n sits there, in the same position until Pieck goes away. Her mind goes blank until a squeeze of her thigh brings her back. Mikasa gets closer to whisper, "You okay?" Y/n blinks before a small smile heats her face. "Yeah, I um... I've never had anyone order for me." It was like a weight lifted off of her shoulders. It was tiny sure, but there was something so homely about Mikasa ordering for her. She took over so Y/n didn't embarrass herself. Mikasa said with full confidence what she wanted and didn't even blink, and still checked up on her. It was something her parents never did for her. Maybe once as a child, except Y/n was expected to be mature and well-behaved. She couldn't cry and had to achieve academic excellence. It was an unspoken rule. She got praised for A's but never anything lower.

It was like Mikasa was this angel sent from Heaven, glowing in the dim dining lights. "Yeah, I know you have a bit of social anxiety, so I hope that was okay."

On the inside, Y/n was squealing like a little kid.

ᓚᘏᗢ
wc:1.2k+