52: Respecting her

Hallway + 2nd pov

You don't make it to history

You don't make it to history. You do it partially on purpose because you want more work, to feel a challenge, but also you want a little break. You stop at your locker, rummaging through to find a hair tie. You grasp a dark red one to slip on your wrist. You move to close the metal, but you can't even do that alone. A large hand topples over yours, forcing it closed. The boney one over your smooth one meant one thing. "Yelena." "Y/n, my dear." You chuckle at her words. "Would you stop?" You shove Yelena's hand off, moving around her. Again, you can't do anything without the blonde. "Why aren't you in class?" You don't freeze, instead, you turn towards Yelena and say, "Need a break. You?" "Hall monitor." You nod, looking Yelena up and down before walking away. "Wait!" Yelena's desperate shriek just makes you smile. "What?" You turn around again. "I need to give you a note- Or give you to the principal... Where are you supposed to be anyway?" Yelena's words keep going on. It's almost as if she wants to talk to you.

It feels like the roles are reversed, and you finally have the power she had over you for years. "You used to do this all the time, and besides, I want some tricky history work..." Yelena nods. "Okay... but where are you going to go?" Your brows furrow, eyes scanning the school walls before you decide. "The vending machine and toilet." Yelena's face scrunches at that. "Ew." "What are you, Levi?" Yelena's lips quirk upward and she watches as your mouth opens again. "Just let me go under your radar for today. I'll go to my next period fully. I have Hange after all."

Her head bobs without her knowledge, and her lips open, "What about Mikasa?" Your brows furrow. "I'm sorry?" Yelena's face drops. "Sorry, I didn't expect to say that." With your uncomfortable face, you nod. "Okay... Well, I'm going to go... Have fun monitoring."

After stopping at the vending machine, you walk over to the nearest bathroom. "Yeah, okay, just bring it to Chicago," you hear a girl say as she passes you. Brushing it off, you open the door. It's tiny and familiar. You have to shove down the guilty thought about Mikasa before going to sit in a spot. You set down your backpack, holding the package in your mouth as you flatten your skirt, making sure your skin doesn't touch the floor. "Okay, I have about ten minutes, should be enough time..." You mumble to yourself, opening the package. "Ooo, cinnamon." You take a giant bite out of the sweet, it filling your senses completely. You groan to the taste, kicking your legs a bit.

Time passes quickly and soon you have to go to Hange's class. You make it there quickly and sit in your regular seat. While you tap your foot on the floor, you wait for the girl you were crushing on. There was only a minute until the period started, and yet she wasn't there. "Y/n?" You blink, looking to the side as Historia asks, "Could you hand me a pen?" You nod, reaching under your desk and grabbing an assortment of pens. "I have blue, red, blue-green, purple, pink, black, and orange." Historia snickers, reaching for the black pen. "I forgot you had so many kinds." You weren't offended. You blinked, looking at the amount you had just in your hands. There was much more in your backpack, yet you swallowed that thought down, tossing them into the fabric before getting out your pen.

"Alright everyone, get out your textbooks and turn to the last page, I want to go over something." Hange turns around, scribbling on their whiteboard. Your brows furrow, eyes dancing around the room, hyperfocused on the empty seat beside you. "Hey, Hisu?" She hums, scribbling on a slice of paper. "Where's Mikasa?" Her brows furrow, palms balancing her as she leans forward to look beside you. "Hm, I don't know, but you'll see her during lunch." "Last page everyone!"

Historia was right, you saw her during lunch. Keyword; saw. "Hey, do you mind if we talk?" Your voice was tiny because looking into silver eyes was a challenge. Her face scrunches as if she's uncomfortable. "Sorry, um, I need to grab lunch." Your face slowly fades from pleased to see Mikasa, to confused. "R-right, um, after? Or when we walk home-" "I have somewhere to be..." You nod quickly, waving your hand in understanding. "Yeah, of course... I get it, heh." Your eyes lose hers and you back away slowly. "I should get going, it was nice to see you." She nods at your words. You spin around and walk out of the lunch room, aggravated at yourself.

"What was that?" Armin's voice is skeptical as he watches Mikasa sit down. "Yeah, I thought you were going to shi-" "No bad words Eren!" Armin slams his foot on top of Eren's, shutting him up with a hiss of pain. "Anyway, why isn't she coming over here? Did she need to use the bathroom? Is she on her period? If so I have some pads and tam-" "She's fine." Armin's brows furrow in bitterness. "Alright, no need to get defensive. I just wanted to know if my best friend was okay..." Armin picks at his salad, taking a second before asking, "Have you been okay though?" Mikasa nods, not looking up from her tray. "Really? 'Cause, you were excited last night until she came here and now you're acting... I don't know actually. But I do know that Y/n just got back from therapy and is dealing with the aftermath-" "She was only there for two weeks, too. That seems too short," Eren adds, chomping on his sandwich. "I'm fine. Can you both just stop?"

Armin glances at Eren, inhaling before nodding. "Sure, but you know we're your friends, right?" Mikasa mumbles her confirmation, picking at the carrots on her tray. "Okay, um... Oh! How was Levi, Eren? Aren't you seeing him a bit before the new semester?" "It was okay, he just wanted to talk to me about assignments, kind of scary if you ask me-"

The rest of the day went fast. All you did was focus on school and the notes you needed to take. You also got Historia and Armin to lend you some notes to copy which was nice of them. It took forever, but you stopped thinking about Mikasa, until the end of the day and you were alone, in the hallway together.

You couldn't stop staring even if you tried. She was so pretty in a skirt with a green sweater over her white dress shirt, the same thing you were wearing. Her hair would sway a bit when the cold breeze came from the doors, and she'd rub her eyes with the tips of her fingers from exhaustion. You were tempted to go up to her and say hi like a fan girl, but you stopped yourself because she wanted to walk home alone, and you needed to respect that.

Even if it felt like you ruined everything by getting better... but not really. You weren't better you just rested in self-hatred and loathed that you were missing out on the things you needed to do to survive. You were missing the nights spent awake with little sleep because you needed to study and complete work that would take you five hours for five points.

You blink your eyes, the feeling of missing out officially clinging to your skin and eyes. 

ᓚᘏᗢ
I just got caught up on all my Wattpad notificationssssss

wc: 1.2k+