57: Plan of promise

Outside

"Is it good?" You hum, picking at the lettuce

"Is it good?" You hum, picking at the lettuce. "Yeah..." Armin's face scrunches. "Do you-" "Why am I so embarrassing?" You groan, forehead planting into your palm. Arming snickers. "You aren't Y/n. It was just the two dicks battling." You sit up straight and look to the side at Armin. "Don't call my girlfriend a dick, 'Minnie." He hums, taking a bite of his taco. "Okay- but you have to tell me why we're really in Chicago." Your brows furrow, eyes inspecting his form. "I didn't pick Chicago-" "You suggested it-" "Armin! I had no idea we were going to go to Chicago!" Armin nods, leaning down to scratch his calf. "I know, I know, it was a slim chance compared to everyone else's ideas- Excluding Historia." You hum at his words. "But honestly, why did you pick it, that's all I want to know?" You sigh, taking a bite of your burrito. "I can't hear you if you eat while talking." You give him a full smile, food piling in your mouth. "Ew, weirdo! I just asked you a question-" "I know... I'm sorry, actually." He blinks, eyes looking over to your hunched form.

"I think you should stop apologizing." You nod with a gulp. "That'd be good..." You fold up your burrito in the foil it came with, setting it on your lap as you ask, "Will you keep this between us?" He pauses, taking time to answer while looking into your e/c eyes, "Y/n, nothing has changed between us. Anytime you are in trouble or need a shoulder to bite, I'm going to be here. And I've never spilled any of your secrets- that's Eren's job." You roll your eyes, a tiny smile meeting your lips. "Okay, okay, I get it... Thank you, 'Min." He hums, taking a bigger bite of his taco and finishing it. "I... My dad is here, like an hour away... Um, the last I heard, he was living in a high-rise apartment, and he's..." Your voice seems to die as you picture him in your old kitchen. He's wearing the bright pink barbie apron you got for your birthday. It was too big for you and he's the main cook. He's cooking pancakes for you. He's being a good dad. He was your dad.

"Better. He's better than he was, it seems." Armin opens his mouth, trying to formulate words. "I want to see him. I need to in a sense... I just miss him so much, Min and- and the last time I saw him was before we went shopping... I don't think he has a new family- What- what if he's been waiting for me to..." Your words die on your tongue as you see Armin's scrunched eyes. You realize that everything you've said is so obsessive- your hopes are too high. "Y/n... he left you and it's been more than a decade." Armin clears his throat, trying to smile with a happy sense. "But you can see him-" "No, no, you're right... this is just- just me thinking dumb things." Armin nods, eyes leaving yours two his friends coming over to him. "Mikasa! Eren!" And just like that, the good atmosphere is back, you think.

"Yelena says we're going to leave now. How was the food, babe?" Eren sits down next to Armin on the old bench. He smiles, leaning into his boyfriend's body. "Good, I wanted more hot sauce though." He hums. "Yeah, they have the good hot sauce here too." You chuckle, a forced one with a smile. You should be happy like before you went to your grandmother's. "I stole some packets, you should've said something." You stand, making your way over to Mikasa. You hold your hand out and she takes it. "We should get going, right?" You hear Eren hum and assume the other couple is following you as you walk ahead with Mikasa.

Soon, everyone is back on track, leaving with Yelena to a nearby college, yet you can't pay attention to that. The last thing on your mind is college, instead, it's the distance between here and those high-rise apartments some miles away. You bet you can see them if you get high enough in the college building. "Hey..." You blink, turning your head to Mikasa. Her voice is soft, and this is the time she tends to be sweet and apologize. "Yes, Mika?" She inhales. "Are we... I'm sorry." You snort, moving your hand from hers to her bicep. "It's okay. If my girlfriend had Yelena as a kind-of-ex then I'd also be cautious- But I am no cheater, so feel free to let those worries wilt." She doesn't talk, admiring your features as the both of you walk with the group. Finally, she says, "Thank you for being patient with me, N/n."

Your eyes widen, head darting in her direction again. "What?" "I just said thank you for-"

"Pay attention, we're here!"

Yelena gives everyone a basic understanding of the college atmosphere. She talks with almost everyone there, introducing teachers and people as you walk through the halls. It takes an hour before you're all able to leave the building. "How long until we're home?" You hear Historia mumble on Ymir's shoulder. "Thirty at least." "Gods, I miss the hotel bed. I want to cuddle." You snicker at her soft nature. "Hm, you okay?" You look at Mikasa, her pale features lighting in the moon's shine. "...Yeah, I've never been here at this time, though." Her brows furrow. "Out here?" You nod, biting your lip to hide a smile. "I used to live near here, and my- mother would take me here during her afternoon breaks and help me build snowmen and... There was this building with graffiti, we'd eat weird food until I passed out and she carried me on her back until we got home."

Mikasa watched you, it was her favorite thing to do again. She loved the way your brows furrowed, your eyes twinkled, your lips folded, and your skin was always a nice view, even if there were acne scars or bumpy dots forming. "Sorry-" "Don't apologize. I like hearing your voice." Your face softened, lips molding into a smile. "Thank you, pretty lady." You knock against her form, watching as she grabbed your shoulder, kissing your cheek. "I think we're here."

You yawned, stretching your arms above your head. As you walked towards your side, someone grabbed your arm. Turning around quickly, you saw Armin looking up at you. Mikasa was already in your room, needing a shower, and Eren was already in his, cranky from a lack of sleep. You take your arm from him gently, folding your arms in front of you as you wait for him to say something. He was a step below you and you could see everything, from the part in his golden hair to his nervous habit of looking around the room instead of someone's eyes. "I... You aren't going to see him, right?" You inhale, shrugging with a smile. "What answer do you want?"

He must've expected that answer because in a second he's responding with, "The real one. The one that you are going to do." He knew you were going, so you swallowed, letting out a sigh. "You know I need to see him; clear up stuff." His eyes shut. "How do you know he's safe." You paused, eyes widening at his question. "Not once has he done or said anything that hurt me." Armin's eyes open and he's staring at you. 'Y/n, I love you and I don't want you to get hurt. I mean how do you know-" "I don't, Armin. And that's the problem." You scoff. "I need to see him. I need some form of closure that will tell me that I wasn't the cause of his leaving... I need one sentence; it wasn't your fault. I want to know that I wasn't at fault for my childhood. I need to know that I didn't cause myself to be this way. I need to know that he had a choice to help me, but he didn't."

Armin nods and you're realizing why he's your best friend. "Then we leave early in the morning, leaving a note behind, okay? I'm not letting you do something like this alone... I'm your best friend for a reason, and I'll stick to that until we're no longer alive." He walks up the stairs until he's on your step, looking into your eyes as he says, "Just promise me you won't leave, you will come back and you won't leave me..." You don't say anything until you're wrapped in his arms. "I promise that I won't leave you. I'll stay with you, forever."

ᓚᘏᗢ

WC: 1.4K+